Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

install thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Default RE: install thread

I'm just starting to think about mod's to my 03 and one of the first things on my list is the air intake. I'd like to see what you do to yours. pic's and notes on complications would be great.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 PM

cool. this is my second time through with the same car, so i know the engine compartment well and i know what to look for as far as complications. i will try to highlight the parts that i had the biggest trouble with the first and second time through.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:36 PM

What kind of HP gains do you expect from the cai,headers and exhaust?

Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 PM

i appreciate the feedback wsoap281. Look forward to seeing more.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:23 PM

i am only betting on about 15-20 to the wheels, but these parts are just kind of the base for all of the other work that i am planning. the most significant gains that i will probably feel are gains in the feel of the car instead of horsepower. the motor mounts will help me feel it all more.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:11 PM

got the intake installed tonight. mostly just hear the gains instead of feel them. i have some gains in the middle of the power band. the install was simple, it was the break-down that took forever(pics up later). the good news is that the heat wrap came today. the bad news is that i didn't order enough and the motor mounts didn't come today like they were supposed to.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:22 PM

Update:

got the motor mounts today, but one of them is incomplete. so, that means yet another minor set-back. still haven't gotten the rest of the parts for my shifter, but those should be here this week. i needed a win though, so i installed a couple of things that have been sitting around my house for a couple of weeks: aluminum gauge rings and smoked rockblockers for my foglights. the pics are at night, so they aren't incredible, but you get the idea.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8860/9FF361DC4BE948E186D32D7436C44098.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8860/D5642B10E08B4BADA381E01AFFE476AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 PM

besides the heat shield, what else is required that doesn't come with the cai?

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2007, 10:36 AM

the heat wrap is for the exhaust,but you can get wraps for the intake from DEI. i may do that, but that will only be if i feel like it's needed. i will get some pics up tonight of the engine bay and a short write-up on the install of the intake. i got my shifter parts today, so i will try to get that written up tonight as well.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:48 PM

good news is; i have some pics for a write up on the shifter and shift bushings. bad news is; my cameras batteries died before i could finish taking pics, so not all of the pics are there. i think there are enough pics for the write-up to make sense though.

Here goes:
1. First, the center console must be disassembled (pic one). the order of this disassembly is; shift ****, cupholders, then shift boot (if it is the stock shift boot, you will have to disconnect it from the center console). i also removed the e-brake base, but you don't have to.
2. second, the car needs to be jacked up. i did this from one side under the lower control arm and just left it on the jack. you can put it up on stands or ramps if you like, but it isn't necessary.
3. third, locate the places underneath the car that you will need to focus on. the shifter linkage is easy to find, since it is directly under the shifter. (pic two). the shifter bushings are a little harder to find. they are more towards the front of the car (pic three). these bushings are not actually on the same linkage as the shifter. they are on the bar the stabilizes the shifter base. if you follow the bar that is directly next to the shift linkage, you will find it towards the front of the car.

now, with the right tools, you are ready to work. tools as follows; rings clamps (pic four), flat head screw driver, 10mm, 12mm, and 17mm open ended wrenches. the last tool is patience. this work isn't time consuming, it is just frustrating sometimes.

Quick Reply: install thread