Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:44 PM
Default Help

I started to do some work to my 2003 Protege 5. I purchased a K&N intake
(short ram configuration) and now my check engine line is on. My buddy has a little computer that told what the problems were. Two codes came up. The first is P0445 EVAP emission leak and Emission control, and the other was P01717 To lean. Has any one else had these problem? How do you fix it? Please help!

Old 05-26-2009, 08:26 PM

Before "starting to do some work", you ought to have started by "doing some homework" first.

The code you are throwing is P0171, not P01717 (which does not exist). It indicates system too lean and will set the CEL on.
In 90% of cases where a custom air intake (CAI) is fitted, the new intake requires that the MAF sensor, sometimes IAT sensor as well, be matched to the new intake. The adapters can take the form of a mechanical device, an electrical "piggyback", and rarely, both.
Contact the CAI maker (or his website), and match the CAI type to your exact engine type to find out what you need.
The other code (which will also turn on the CEL), is an EVAP loop code. The P0445 code you quoted indicates Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Shorted, something you are unlikely to have done.
I suspect the code was in fact P0455, Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (gross leak). The problem is detected on purge, where, upon starting the engine, the idle condition creates a large vacuum in the intake manifold; this is used to suck out the excess fuel which has been scavenged by the pollution control devices, from the charcoal canister.
Since you have been working around the air intake section, you may very well have dislodged, disconnected, or misconnected a vacuum line to the intake manifold, in which case you will get no purge, which sets off the P0455 trouble code and also the CEL.
(There is an EVAP loop system "map" located on the underside of the hood). Grope your way through the engine compartment "plumbing" to see where air is hissing in.
The other common cause of this fault is a gas filler cap improperly secured or defective and therefore not sealing properly.
Once you have rectified your problems, expect the CEL to stay on for a few days. The two codes will clear themselves eventually, Those "mickey mouse" OBD code readers won't clear memorized codes.
The other way to clear the codes if you're in a hurry (apart from going to a dealer) is to leave the car door open so the courtesy light is on, then disconnect the battery negative. After 30 seconds, the ECU will have discharged and lost everything in memory. Reconnect the battery and reset your clock and radio settings and you have a clean slate to start from.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 AM

Thanks for the reply. Besides the jab it was very helpful. Got to learn sometime and somehow.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 PM

OK, good hunting. Don't feel alone, the number of folks who go the CAI route forgetting it's going to de-calibrate the MAF exceeds the number who do take this into account is about 10 of the former to 1 of the latter.
Don't expect miracles from a CAI. It makes things a bit rough and grumpy at the idle and low ranges, doesn't do much in the low to mid range, and then gradually becomes noticeable at the top end (where Mazdas are already pretty good).
Putting a CAI on a 5 speed is OK, but with an automatic transmission, I suspect it would be nearly useless.