Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

ERG Valve Vacuum Puzzler

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Default ERG Valve Vacuum Puzzler

Hello All,

I have traced out the vacuum to my ERG valve and found that the vacuum is good from the vacuum manifold to "some kind of vacuum solenoid". I am posting a link to a picture (i am not Picasso) trying to show the solenoid and I need to know what the proper name for this solenoid is so I can ask for it. The parts house tried to sell me the ERG valve when I took it to them and I may end up needing a new one but Iasked him that if the vacuum wasn't getting to the ERG wasn't the valve going to not work anyway?....He replied,"I guess not.".

Clickhere to see my pitiful drawing

Anyway, there are 2 of these solenoids side-by-side and they are linked by a crossover line. The solenoid that the vacuum goes into and then out of to go to the ERG valve seems to be plugged or something and not allowing the vacuum to get to the ERG.

Unfortunately there are no "strip-it yourself" bone yards here and I need to know the name of the part so I can ask for it or look for it online.....anyone here have one for sale?

Thanks,
Gerry

Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Default RE: ERG Valve Vacuum Puzzler

Hi Gerry,

First of all, what is the year and engine size of your protege??? Second, whatI think what you are trying to identify is the EGR boost sensor and the EGR solenoid. Is your car throwing a code?? If so what is it???

Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. It is a 1996 Protégé with the smaller engine....I can't find the size # but I do remember that from buying plugs and such it is the smallest engine. And YES it is throwing 2 codes that go to the probability that the ERG valve is bad. (My wife has the car and is out of town and of course the diagnostic sheet is in the car so if she gets pilled for non-inspection she can show we are working on it) It might be a sensor as there are electrical connections on the top of both of the 2 solenoids(?). But the one with the vacuum hose from the vacuum manifold to the ERG valve is not allowing the vacuum to go to the ERG. I made up a hose so I could suck on the ERG valve and when I do I can hear a "flapper" in the ERG sound as if it moving freely so this is why I think it is the solenoid/sensor (?) that is giving the codes and if that doesn't fix it then I will know the ERG is also bad.....but definitely the part in question is blocking the vacuum path. It is a direct shot from the vacuum manifold to this part and from there to the ERG.
Thanks,
Gerry

Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 AM

Thanks for the reply. It is a 1996 Protégé with the smaller engine....I can't find the size # but I do remember that from buying plugs and such it is the smallest engine. And YES it is throwing 2 codes that go to the probability that the ERG valve is bad. (My wife has the car and is out of town and of course the diagnostic sheet is in the car so if she gets pilled for non-inspection she can show we are working on it) It might be a sensor as there are electrical connections on the top of both of the 2 solenoids(?). But the one with the vacuum hose from the vacuum manifold to the ERG valve is not allowing the vacuum to go to the ERG. I made up a hose so I could suck on the ERG valve and when I do I can hear a "flapper" in the ERG sound as if it moving freely so this is why I think it is the solenoid/sensor (?) that is giving the codes and if that doesn't fix it then I will know the ERG is also bad.....but definitely the part in question is blocking the vacuum path. It is a direct shot from the vacuum manifold to this part and from there to the ERG.
Thanks,
Gerry

Old 11-06-2007, 10:32 PM

Hi Gerry.

OK follow this link:

https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_36162/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

These cars have an issue with the vacuum port on the mainfold getting clogged. Baby huey gives some real good insight in how to get it unclogged. It is rather a pain in the *** job, but it is a good start, and it will have to be done anyway. The other thing you want to do is go to the junkyard and get that whole EGR boost sensor and the solenoid rail. It shouldn't be that expensive. When I went and got one for my car, the guy gave it to me. By the way, it is a pain in the *** to get the rail off the firewall, because they used aluminum nuts on steel studs, so bring WD40 and sockets. You can always cut through the rubber and screw with it later. It's nice to practice on junkyard cars...

My guess is your codes are P1195 and P0400

On another point, while you are at the junkyard, if you get a car withgood headlight plugs (not melted) Cut them off and take them. (leave alot of wire to splice)These cars have a known problem with plugs melting, and you will want to have a couple of spares to splice into the harness when you need them.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:06 AM

I have a 2001 with the 2.0 engine. does this year engine have the same issue? and if so, where is the port located? (I looked at the posted pics, but doesn't look the same as my engine)

TIA
RGW

Old 11-18-2007, 08:14 PM

http://protege5.ugly.net/#ac

The link above is for a complete factory shop manual for your car. Go to each section and copy it to your hard drive. This manaul is $150 to buy and will save you thousands. Section 1-16 deals with the emission system. I haven't seen as many issues with the 3rd generation proteges as I have with the 2nd generation ones.