Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

enigne mods not working right???

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Red face enigne mods not working right???

so my exhaust rusted off where the down pipe meets the cat and so i made a custom side exit exhaust. basically its straight 2 1/4 inch pipe with a 90 to a cherry bomb turbo muffler with a 2 inch inlet and outlet also i put on a cold air intake that helped the power when flooring it but sometimes when on cruise itll miss a lil when the egr valve wants to kick in but i think it originated from the intake and i have the proper maf sensor housing but im assuming turbulence is the problem but i get codes like warm up catalyst below insufficient and exhaust recirculation insufficient flow detected both im assuming from exhaust but i feel like the intake is to blame also i had NGK iridiums in there but it didnt like them at idle but now i have autolite double platinums which it loves but basically its too much of a turd with rust in a quarter panel a dent from a deer hitting the car and with a lil over 170k mileage and a 1.6 auto ugh but any advice would be great i just dont want to dump more than $200 into it trying to get more horsepower and get back my poor MPG's

Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by choirboyjr45@hotmail.com
so my exhaust rusted off where the down pipe meets the cat and so i made a custom side exit exhaust. basically its straight 2 1/4 inch pipe with a 90 to a cherry bomb turbo muffler with a 2 inch inlet and outlet also i put on a cold air intake that helped the power when flooring it but sometimes when on cruise itll miss a lil when the egr valve wants to kick in but i think it originated from the intake and i have the proper maf sensor housing but im assuming turbulence is the problem but i get codes like warm up catalyst below insufficient and exhaust recirculation insufficient flow detected both im assuming from exhaust but i feel like the intake is to blame also i had NGK iridiums in there but it didnt like them at idle but now i have autolite double platinums which it loves but basically its too much of a turd with rust in a quarter panel a dent from a deer hitting the car and with a lil over 170k mileage and a 1.6 auto ugh but any advice would be great i just dont want to dump more than $200 into it trying to get more horsepower and get back my poor MPG's
I'm sorry to say this, but I think you'll be hard-pressed to get a respectable response from this post.
You might want to try to re-phrase this so your question is actually in the form of, well, a question (and not a run-on paragraph).

...just sayin'

Old 03-22-2011, 12:28 AM

+1

Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by choirboyjr45@hotmail.com
Long story short, for $200 it ain't gonna happen; you've done too much damage to your car to correct it for that amount. I'm thinking your best bet would be to junk your car and buy something in better condition and then leave the poor thing alone (i.e. leave it in factory stock condition).

Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 PM

crap i cant afford anything i guess ill run it the way it is at least its better than what it was when i first got it thanks tho

Old 03-24-2011, 07:21 PM

by the sounds of it i could hardly understand what your trying to say but did you keep your cat converter in? if you took it out thats why its saying warm up cat below insufficient, basicly there is nothing you can do about the codes, because you modified your exhaust if i read that correctly. your intake has nothing to do with it its working fine your spark plugs have nothing to do with it. But horsepower and mpg should never be in the same sentence when you modify cars your sacrificing fuel mileage for horsepower there is nothing you can do about it, if you want the fuel mileage put it back to stock.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:51 PM

yeah i apologize for the way i worded things. it made sense in my mind when i was typing it but now that i read it again........not so much. well i changed plugs to e3's and its never ran better. and also added seafoam and shes putting great now thanks!