Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

changing rotors and calipers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Default changing rotors and calipers.

Hello all, I have a 2003 Mazda Protege Lx 2.0 and my rear brakes have locked up. i was just wondering if anyone had a simple step by step tutorial on how to replace my rotors and also my calipers as quickly as possible. Thank you to anyone that could help me out

Old 06-24-2018, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Just unbolt them.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 AM

The master cylinder has two sections, one for the front and one for the rear. You may need to release the pressure on the master cylinder using the bleeders in order to release the calipers from the locked situation on the rotors. You may be able to release the lock by loosening the bleeders on the rear brakes also. Opening the bleeders allows the pressure to drop which allows you to remove the locked up calipers. Sounds like you have hydraulic lock.
You are going to have to bleed the brakes anyway so might as well open the bleeders.
Also be sure to drain and REPLACE all brake fluid since moisture in the fluid usually causes a lockup and you don't want that to happen again. After opening, the bleeders, pump the brake pedal and the fluid will squirt out. Put some new fluid in the brake fluid reservoir and do it again. Close the bleeders and fill the reservoir then bleed the brakes as usual making sure you add fluid as needed while bleeding.