Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Car runs sluggish and 21MPG performance :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by yami
And something else too...
I brewed my own Gas Booster:
Toluene (or Xylene) - 100 unit
Mineral Oil (or Diesel or Kerosene) - 25 unit
ATF (Automatic Transmission Oil) - 5 units
And added 20 Oz of it to almost empty tank and then put gas on it.
Zoom Zoom!! Car drives awesome. On 2000 RPM on plain/flat road car goes easily 47 MPH !! (This is my way of comparing engines performance!! To see how fast it goes in an special RPM, normally 2000).
I calculated my gas mileage and it became 29 MPG in normal city traffic!!
Remind me to never buy a car you've ever laid a finger on.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Pardon me! I did not get it
What does it mean?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:16 AM

Pardon me! I did not get it
What does it mean?
Are you being serious?

Simply put, modern cars aren't designed to have all of the crap you put into yours, and there's no telling how much damage you've done. Long story short, there's no way you could pay me to take over a car you've messed with (assuming you were being serious about the crud you put into yours).

Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 AM

Are you being serious?

Simply put, modern cars aren't designed to have all of the crap you put into yours, and there's no telling how much damage you've done. Long story short, there's no way you could pay me to take over a car you've messed with (assuming you were being serious about the crud you put into yours).
I read a lot about putting these stuff in gas as booster and wanted to try!
Honestly it works but I put only few oz (like 12 oz) and I would never put like 1 gal of it in a tank of gas as others do!! (they proudly write in forums!)
I hope 12 oz does not hurt a lot!!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM

I read a lot about putting these stuff in gas as booster and wanted to try!
Honestly it works but I put only few oz (like 12 oz) and I would never put like 1 gal of it in a tank of gas as others do!! (they proudly write in forums!)
I hope 12 oz does not hurt a lot!!
Okay, let's start here:
  • You clearly know very little about cars
  • Even a "few ounces" of the stuff you're putting in your fuel will reduce the fuel's ability to resist detonation and as such, your engine computer will be obliged to retard the timing to deal with the contaminated fuel. A retardation in ignition will reduce both power and fuel economy of your engine.
  • As for it "working", you have no way of measuring that so you have absolutely zero way of knowing whether it works or not (or for that matter how much damage you're doing to your fuel system or your engine).

Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 AM

^^^^^ amen to that!!!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by alf-zim
Hey guys, I have a similar problem, lack of power esp around 3000 rpm, and changing plugs has not helped me yet, anyone that could point me in the right drection... No CEL codes, car starts fine and runs fine till 3000 rpm and the 'handbrake' comes on
Did you also change the wires, cap and rotor (if there is a distributor), did you inspect the coil pack for corrosion, cracks, carbon tracks and such?
Did you look for vacuum leaks?
Did you clean the MAF sensor?
Did you inspect the EGR port holes?
Did you inspect and maybe clean the throttle body?

In other words: spend some time to take car of ALL the basics and you will probably find the bugger.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:50 AM

And something else too...
I brewed my own Gas Booster:
Toluene (or Xylene) - 100 unit
Mineral Oil (or Diesel or Kerosene) - 25 unit
ATF (Automatic Transmission Oil) - 5 units
And added 20 Oz of it to almost empty tank and then put gas on it.
Zoom Zoom!! Car drives awesome. On 2000 RPM on plain/flat road car goes easily 47 MPH !! (This is my way of comparing engines performance!! To see how fast it goes in an special RPM, normally 2000).
I calculated my gas mileage and it became 29 MPG in normal city traffic!!
Yami, was that before or after you replaced the spark plugs?

Honestly, Shipo and the other skeptics are right. Now if you think you must put something into your gas, do yourself a favor and use something that cannot hurt your rubber seals in the fuel supply, engine, catalytic converter etc. One such product would be "lucas oil fuel treatment" which you can buy in gallon jugs cheaply. I have used it and I noticed slight improvement in throttle response.
If you want something more dramatic give it the "Seafoam" treatment once a year. If you have carbon build up in the engine, this will clear it out while creating a huge white plume behind you for a minute or so. And you will notice a significantly improved throttle response.

And it is safer for yourself because you don't have to inhale that crap you are mixing together.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by tanprotege
If you have carbon build up in the engine, this will clear it out while creating a huge white plume behind you for a minute or so. And you will notice a significantly improved throttle response.
While the above statement has been quoted and re-quoted so often it has become a "truism", I rather doubt it is even remotely "true". Why? Simple, take a brand new engine and run Seafoam through it; the same cloud of white smoke will be produced. Long story short, healthy modern engines running modern fuel produce such a minuscule quantity of "carbon" (actually combustion byproducts which more often than not are very low in "carbon") as to be irrelevant with regards to engine operation for many hundreds of thousands of miles.

Said another way, I would never subject any of my engines to a Seafoam treatment, even after a quarter of a million miles.

Exception to the above rule: Back when I worked for Mercedes-Benz we got Boutros Boutros-Ghali's S-Class limousine into our shop at the MB-USA headquarters in Montvale, NJ; Mr. Boutros-Ghali was the UN Secretary General of the day. Anyway, the standard operation for the 560 SEL was for it to be started two hours prior to any scheduled departure of the SecGen, and to remain idling until said departure. If the SecGen was scheduled to remain for a period of less than something like four or five hours, the car was to remain idling for the entire duration of the stay; if not it was to idle for two hours after arrival, and then restarted two hours prior the the scheduled departure.

Long story short, after only 27,000 miles the piston domes, the valves and the heads were so gummed up with combustion byproducts that the engine would barely run. Instead of trying something like Seafoam we simply pulled the heads, gently (or not) cleaned as much of the crud from the tops of the pistons, and performed complete rebuilds of the heads before sending the car back to the UN.

In the case of this one engine, I might have been inclined to try Seafoam. That said, I rather doubt such a treatment would have done much good.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 AM

[quote=shipo;123858]While the above statement has been quoted and re-quoted so often it has become a "truism", I rather doubt it is even remotely "true". Why? Simple, take a brand new engine and run Seafoam through it; the same cloud of white smoke will be produced. Long story short, healthy modern engines running modern fuel produce such a minuscule quantity of "carbon" (actually combustion byproducts which more often than not are very low in "carbon") as to be irrelevant with regards to engine operation for many hundreds of thousands of miles.--end of quote.

You are correct that the "Seafoam" itself is causing white smoke and it does that in any engine. It will produce no positive effects in a -as you call it-healthy modern engine running on modern fuel.

However, an engine that has been neglected for some time, possibly running on questionable fuel, can build up deposits (carbon, sludge, whatever) and those deposits can make an engine "sick" -using the opposite of your term. And it is these sickly engines that can benefit from the treatment. In other words; if you don't have a snotty nose you can leave the "Benadryl" on the shelf.

I have no further contributions to this thread, it is morphing into a Off-Topic thread.

Wishing you a happy Holiday season!

Tan

Quick Reply: Car runs sluggish and 21MPG performance :(