Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Belt chirps on start up

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Question Belt chirps on start up

Hey everyone am i the only one that hears this... Im no sure which belt it is but when i start my car once in a while i get a squeal from one belt but it dosn't happen every start and it never lasts mor than 30 seconds. belts are in good shape. no signs of wear. tension seams to be in spec. so i am puzzled has anyone experienced this... and fixed it? or any ideas on how to stop the squeal?

happy zoom, zoom...

Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 PM

Are the lights on wwhen you start? Check the power load at start-up, A/C on?
Defroster on? Have the battery checked and alternator output checked . Advance auto store or auto zone will be able to do this free of charge. Oh, check the tension on the belts, no more than 1" (25.4mm since your from Canada) deflection on the belt. Another question involves car use, do you take many short trips, stop and go traffic, with the A/C running to keep the interior cool. This will wear out your battery because the engine never has a chance to charge it up.
I'm asking 'cause that's what happened to me. It's just not easy anymore.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Smile

My 2001 Protege was doing that on and off too.
I still had the original Alternator and over the past 3 or 4 years it had also developed quite a "whistle" while the car was running.
SO, back in early June when I was away in Ohio, my Protege was sitting in the driveway for about 2 weeks. When I got home I started it and MAJOR squeal that did not stop, then smoke pouring from under the hood (maybe 20-30 seconds total). Then a little thud and the noise stopped but the Battery light was on the dash. (Alternator Belt burned thru)
Towed it to my mechanic and he said the Alternator had finally seized up. (over 9 years old, not complaining about that)
So, new alternator and belt (600.00) and all is good. Charging perfectly and no more whistle when running. Well worth the 6 bills in my opinion.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Question

Originally Posted by copierman
Are the lights on wwhen you start? Check the power load at start-up, A/C on?
Defroster on? Have the battery checked and alternator output checked . Advance auto store or auto zone will be able to do this free of charge. Oh, check the tension on the belts, no more than 1" (25.4mm since your from Canada) deflection on the belt. Another question involves car use, do you take many short trips, stop and go traffic, with the A/C running to keep the interior cool. This will wear out your battery because the engine never has a chance to charge it up.
I'm asking 'cause that's what happened to me. It's just not easy anymore.

I am kinda car savvy so i am **** about turning everything off when i get somewhere. If you read my whole post you would see that i checked the belt tension and they are in spec with the factory repair manual. I am thinking that it has something to do with my fan/ ac system as i have heard it with the fan on. and then it stoped when i turned the fan off.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:50 PM

wrd..i just purchased an 03 msp and wen i turned it on it mad a loud as squeky sound for like 15 seconds

Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 AM

Mine Does that too, just chirps once as it fires up then is fine. I noticed that my friends car, which is a nissan makes the same noise. It may be an indication that we may have to change our belts soon!