Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

Badges...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:36 AM
Default Badges...

...on the trunk deck. Has anybody taken these off? I'm not quite sure if they are just glued on or if they have pins too. I trieda heat gun/dental floss combo but the floss didn't slide under the whole badge. Not sure if it hit a pin or if the glue was just too cold or what.
If they have pins, how easy is it to fill the holes, and what can I use? Anybody know?

(2003 Protege LX 2.0)

Old 04-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Default RE: Badges...

The ones on my 2000 use pins only, no glue. I loosened the plastic grommet on the inside of the trunk with pliers, then slid a knife under the badge and it popped right off. When I filled in my front license plate holes I used bondo and touch-up paint but it looks kind of crappy. Thebadge holes are really small though, like 1/8", so the bondo/paint idea might work better.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

On the 3, the rear "winged" badge is pinned and partially taped. At least mine was.

For the licenceplate holes, I used clear epoxy, a sharp razor blade to trim it down and touch up paint. It looks OK, but not quite professional either. It's noticable from about 2-3 feet away, if the car is clean.

Name:  Picture003W.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0688W.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  31.6 KB

Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the input guys. I've got two nasty holes left over from the licence plate holder on the front bumper, too.
I'll pick up some touch up paint and try the epoxy or bondo and razor bladeidea. Hopefully it turns out alright...

Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Sure!! What have you got to lose, except those ugly holes in the bumper, right? It can't look any worse than it does, so even ifthe job turns out less than factory perfect at least it would be an improvement.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:13 AM

Good point, virgin1! That's a good little project for this weekend. I'll let ya know how it turns out, maybe post a pic or two.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

I'm taking the plunge and going all the way w/my badges this time. I'm tired of repainting all the time. It takes a full day of careful timing and planning, the night before prepping and at least one more full day to allow dry time.
No MORE!! That's my new motto. But I can't stand the idea of going back to the OE chrome look either.
After 4+ days of soaking in a bleach bath, these are what they look like w/ochrome.

Name:  1417W.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  96.3 KB

I have since scraped some of residue of w/a sharp utility knife blade and washed them in Mineral Spirits and they look a bit better now.
I will soak them for a while longer in theammonia/hydrogen peroxide mixture to help remove any of the black copper residue, lightly sand w/1000 grit wet/dry, and we'll see after that.
If all this work doesn't keep them nice for at least the next two years, I WILL go back to the chrome. 'Course,I'll have to buy new in order to do that.
Oh, well!!U payz ur money and U takes ur chances.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:52 AM

What color are you painting them? Or are you painting them at all?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Well, to be honest w/you that's kind of up in the air right now.
The chrome is stripped as you can see. I had originally intended to paint them in a maroon/ruby red similar to what I had them before the chrome was gone. ButI've left the remains of the copper under layment in place instead of stripping that too, which givethemthe marbled look you see in the pic. Different, and I kinda' like it. I currently installed the two originalemblems that way. The Axela is a Chinese knock-off, obviously made of a different colored plasticand as you can see that came out differently.

I also have a second set of all three emblems that are still in OE chrome, so my options are not limited to one set, or one color. I know the black/white thing is too common and doesn't really turn me on anyway, so something a little different is in store, I just don't know exactly what yet.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:12 AM

What about a flat (or matte?)white?

Quick Reply: Badges...