Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

99 Protege jerky, jumpy acceleration in low gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Default 99 Protege jerky, jumpy acceleration in low gears

First off, greetings!!

I wish we were meeting under better circumstances, and I would like to thank anyone in advance for contributing to this thread.

This has been one great car! 130,000 miles, never any problems!

My Check engine light is on, and has been for some time. As the car has been running fine I didnt really let it worry me. I drive it about 30 miles a day. I am going to get the codes read this morning and will follow up here. Heres my problem:

99 Protege DX 5 spd

Recently, I noticed a little hesitation while accelerating through 1st and 2nd gear. Nothing major and it would accelerate smoothly once I got over 25 mph. In the course of a week it has gotten alot worse. I am an easy driver (not stomping on the gas or anything). In 1st and 2nd, now 3rd, acceleration is VERY jerky and jumpy. On the highway the car runs fine. The car idles good most of the time, but about once a week, while at a stop light, it will "flutter" and die out. The car restarts with no problem. There is no electrical load on when this happens. No air, no radio, etc.
I'm hoping somone here has had this problem before and can get me pointed in the right direction before I'm stuck on the side of the road.

TIA for your suggestions and taking time to post!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Default Codes

I had my codes read and although I didnt save a report of the actual code numbers they are:

1. Plug 2 misfiring
2. EGR vale
3. O2 sensor

Going to try to clean the EGR valve first, as he stated that this could be giving false reading to the other components.

I will let you know how it goes!!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:53 AM

the 02 sensor wouldn't be the problem for your car all it really reads is how much gas is being throwen out the exhaust pipe i don't even have it on my car anymore. is the plug 2 i would start to see if there is a spark going to cylinder 2, does your car shake while its idleing? if so there your ignition coil/distributor cap is the problem.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Default Plug 2

Thank you for the reply!!!

Well - heres how it all played out.

I checked the EGR valve, that was good.

So I called about the 02 sensor, and was going to get it in a day or two.

I figured I would check the plugs. The elbow at the bottom of the spark plug 2, where the spark arcs, was broken off!!

So, I went to replace the plug, and the damn threads were crossed. I tried a chaser - no luck. I got a heli coil kit, but the socket would not fit in the opening on the valve cover. It was only big enough to accept the 5/8 plug socket. And the plugs set down about 6 inches or so. I could not find a kit where I could get my extension directly on it. So.....

To make a long story short, I got it towed to a garage about a mile away, he was able to tap it without removing anything, (I had thought he would have to have the head taken off), an new alternator belt (slipping), and an over priced hose from Mazda (the intake hose?) for $330 out the door, inc. tax and tow.

I cant believe how good it is to get back to where I was!! I just got the car back last night.

Thank you very much for taking time out of your busy day to try and help!! Youre an asset to this forum!!

Old 10-24-2009, 04:54 AM

well thats good to hear

Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 AM

Hi

I had a similar problem with the exact same symptoms, however my spark plugs came up clean (and in case there was a problem i couldnt see i replaced them, to no effect) and under my mechanics advice he replaced the HT leads and Coil pack, £600 later the problem hasnt gone away. i have heard possibly O2 sensor as well? i was wondering if anyone could possibly help?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Default Protege jerky jumpy acceleration in low gears

Have you checked the ribbed part of the "air intake hose" for cracks? I have had the air intake "hose" between the air filter and the fuel injectors crack, which during low gear accelaration sucks excess air creating a jerking motion as the fuel air mixture becomes too lean. I would guess your mechanic checked this out already, but thought I'd pass this along just in case.

P.S. When I found this problem, the replacement part had to be purchased from a dealer. After the replacement part also developed a crack I just wrapped masking tape (no, it was duct tape) over it and haven't had any problem since.

Good Luck!

Last edited by cpabuilder; 04-25-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Thanks cpabuilder,

I found your response it turns out the hesitation was indeed due to big crack in air intake hose. I took your advice and save the $48 bucks in buying a new one and use electrical tape through all the ribbing on the hose, and so far it is holding up and no hesitation. I could alway buy a new hose if the tape do not hold up. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by hueyco; 04-24-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 PM
Default Your welcome, hueyco

Protege jerky jumpy acceleration in low gears
I thought I should make the following correction to the previous reply:

I used duct tape, not masking tape. However, the first time I used electrical tape also, and it was ok for a while, but found after using duct tape the second time (this time on a Mazda Millenia), that duct tape held up better.

Glad you found the problem!

Last edited by cpabuilder; 04-25-2010 at 10:27 PM.