Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

97' protege won't go into programming mode?

Old 07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Default 97' protege won't go into programming mode?

Soo just like in the subject... I cant get my 97' protege to go into programming mode. I do what the instructions say to go into program mode and it just doesn't do anything. I dont totally understand the "driver side door switch... is that the door lock switch? The rubber button in the door jam?

The instructions I have are in the picture... any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/11596/73578907A5504F17B8CDA246459BDDF1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-03-2007, 04:09 PM
Default RE: 97' protege won't go into programming mode?

That procedure is not working for you because Protege did not come equipped with factory keyless entry system untill 1999. Perhaps you have an aftermarket system??

Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 PM

hmm... not that i know of... it says on the sticker on the 2 front windows "mazda security system" and in the documentation with the car it tells you the different key commands that the key pad does. so as far as i know it should have come installed? is there any way that i can get into the programming mode if it isnt factory installed? thanks again!

Old 07-03-2007, 05:10 PM

Ahhhh, I see. You have a dealer installed security system that was available for the Protege and Miata.

Up under the drivers footwell you should see a squarish flat box that says Mazda Security System on it. Rub your finger over the label and roughly in the middle you should feel a soft area approx 3/4" in diameter. Push your finger thru the label and into the hole. Underneath this there will be a square yellow button. This is the programming button.

Now that you have located the yellow button you can begin programming.

To start with, turn ignition key from ON then back to OFF.
Push and hold the down the yellow programming button.
Speaker should emit four single tones followed by a multitone burst. Speaker will then start emitting single prompting tones at one second intervals.
Release the yellow button once the propting tones begin.
Each prompting tone is the time to enter a tranmitter code.
After a propting tone, press the LOCK button only of a transmitter. Speaker should immediately emit a confirmation tone.
If you have another transmitter then wait for another prompting tone and then press LOCK button of second transmitter.
Repeat untill all of your transmitters have been programed
Once finished just turn ignition key from ON to OFF to exit the programming mode.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:55 PM

thank you sooo much for that information!!! ive been searching and searching for how to enter programming mode that worked perfect and took literelly seconds... after i found that box up there lol.

anywho... the problem is now that the transmitter works about 10 feet away and thats it. brand new transmitter and battery. now the attached pictures would suggest that there was once an antenna on the windshield? when i bought the car i found the wire up there plugged into nothing, but leftover "sticky stuff" where im pointing in the one picture. any ideas if an antenna is a possibility and how i could get/make one? thanks so much!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:04 PM

the rest of the pics...

Old 07-04-2007, 11:10 AM

my apologies... that black box is actually a remote starter... and there is no brand name on it or any numbers. now i really dont know how to solve that one...

Old 09-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Default 96 Protege Security System

I am attempting to use these instructions on a 96 Protege. I think they apply ...
My question follows this quote ...

Originally Posted by babyhuey
... You have a dealer installed security system that was available for the Protege and Miata.

Up under the drivers footwell you should see a squarish flat box that says Mazda Security System on it. Rub your finger over the label and roughly in the middle you should feel a soft area approx 3/4" in diameter. Push your finger thru the label and into the hole. Underneath this there will be a square yellow button. This is the programming button.

Now that you have located the yellow button you can begin programming.

To start with, turn ignition key from ON then back to OFF.
Push and hold the down the yellow programming button.
Speaker should emit four single tones followed by a multitone burst. Speaker will then start emitting single prompting tones at one second intervals.
Release the yellow button once the propting tones begin.
Each prompting tone is the time to enter a tranmitter code.
After a propting tone, press the LOCK button only of a transmitter. Speaker should immediately emit a confirmation tone.
If you have another transmitter then wait for another prompting tone and then press LOCK button of second transmitter.
Repeat untill all of your transmitters have been programed
Once finished just turn ignition key from ON to OFF to exit the programming mode.
My question ...

I found this thread while attempting to program a replacement remote for a 96 Protege that my Mom gave to my daughter. I see the security box under the dash and I see the yellow button. Before I venture down this road, I decided to post because I have replaced the Original radio with an aftermarket unit. Since the instructions say that tones will be emitted from the speaker, I am asking if the original radio is required for these tones to be emitted. I did not splice any wires when the radio was replaced. An adapter plug was installed to adapt the original wiring to the new head unit. So, the question is, before I attempt this, the question is will I receive the tones once the unit goes into programming mode. I only want to add 1 replacement remote, so will the original remotes remain programmed if I attempt to add 1 remote, or, do I have to program every remote I intend to use when I attempt this procedure.

Thanks in advance,
Steven