Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

94 1.8 protege transmission beginning to do strange things.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Default 94 1.8 protege transmission beginning to do strange things.

Hey guys, I have a 94 1.8 port with 165k on it. Not surprisingly, the transmission is doing strange things when its cold, like down shifting to second gear HARD. But it only does it once, in the morning. It also slips intermittently after it has sat for a while, but begins to shift regularly after it has run for a few minutes.

I'm going to change the filter and fluid and probably use one of the bars leaks or Lucas products that treat these symptoms as a stop gap measure, but my gut tells me this will be a temporary fix at best. So my question is this: how much is involved in changing the transmission if I need to? Are they available? How can I tell if its a good one? How much can I expect to pay? Im up to a whopping 1200 dollars (including the cost of the car) so I think its worth it, because its running great otherwise.

Thanks for any thoughts and comments.

WW

Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Default Hey now.

Ok so I did the drain and fill with new tranz fluid and Lucas and it no longer slips from second to third, it does however still downshift hard when its cold, also I have to let it warm up when its cold before it will shift out of park into reverse or first gear. To be more accurate, it shifts into these gears, but then slips. Is there anyone out there that can shed some light on what might be going on? its shifting awesome now except for these few problems. Is there hopefully an adjustment that can be done?

Tan? Anyone?

Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 PM

Tan is on vacation.

Actually, Tan doesn't know to much about trannies. I am guessing that the bands and clutches are done. Did you drop the pan and replace the filter? How did te old stuff smell? Was there a lot of grud in the pan? I don't think there is a way to adjust the bands. In the older cars (60's 70's) you could drop the the tranny, open it and adjust the bands.

Replacing the transmission is a lot of work. I would get the haynes manual for that.