Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

93 Protege- won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Default 93 Protege- won't start!

This is a very weird problem I had last night! When I turned the key the car wouldn't even try to start, but I noticed that I could still turn the headlights on. However, when my husband arrived a couple of minutes later and only opened the hood, I noticed that the headlights wouldn't turn on anymore. Then car alarm started going off (even though I have the switch set to off!) and wouldn't stop, no matter how much I pushed the button or flipped the switch. I had to pull out the two little spark plugs next to them in order to get it to shut up! My husband put them back in and was looking around down there when I noticed that the little beep beep noise the car makes (when the key is still in the ignition but the car is off) was a LOT quieter than normal, so I took the key out, and when I put it back in later the beeping sound was barely audible. I'm guessing that this is some sort of wiring/electrical problem? Anyone have a clue on how to fix it? I would like to try everything before I take it to my mechanic (they are very nice people and never charge very much, but my car often stumps them)! THANKS in advance for the help!!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:55 AM

i would first check to see how many vots is on the battery, with the car off the battery should show just over 12 if its any lower than that in the 9-11 vots well its an electrical issue from i would try boosting the car if boosting the car won't work then just your fuse box for a blowen fuse, but if boosting the car does get it going i would do an amp test on it you would be showing about 110 ish amps any less than that we are talking about 70-90 or lower than the alternator is shot and you need a new one, but honestly if your mechanic is really nice and they don't charge much i would just get them to solve it cause to do an amp test you need a special amp meter with the amp clamp on it if you have it then awesome but if not you won't be able to figure out the amps.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM

If you have a problem and it won't start but you have power check the alarm if it is a aftermarket alarm the switch may not work look under the dash and pull the 2 fuses out of the power wire or disconnect the connectors on the module and try to start it. The buzzing noise might be when you pulled the key out of the ignition the cylinder might not of turned back far enough so it thought the key was still in the ignition.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the help! I ended up taking it to the mechanic anyway and it turned out it was the starter again. They had to just disconnect the alarm system, I had tried taking out the two fuses before but without those fuses the car won't start at all