Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2003 Protege 5 Gas Mileage??....other questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Default RE: 2003 Protege 5 Gas Mileage??....other questions

I have a 2003 Protege DX, 2.0 Automatic (not the 5). What is the difference between the regular Protege and the Protege 5? I get 22 to 27 depending on the type of driving I do, the weather and other variables. I too have been a little disappointed in the mileage

I've tried an additive, CA-40, that is supposed to improve mileage about 10% or so. I've kept a log of mileage with and without this additive, but it has been hard to draw any conclusions, since my driving is highly variable (city/highway, traffic, ambient temperature, ac/not, topography and load). Also, I lost my trip meter data a couple of times when installing a new battery. I think the only way to know whether this stuff works would be with a dynamometer, where they can control and measure how much work is actually being done by the engine. [align=left] [/align]

Old 03-28-2008, 03:35 AM

I have a 2002 Protege5, 2.0L automatic, 104,000 miles on the odo. In normal driving, a mix of mostly commuting at 65mph and driving around town, I average 25-27mpg. The BEST I have ever gotten is 30mpg, all highway 65-70mpg. I have found it to be a couple mpg worse in the winter.

But I've never had a tank less than the low 20's no matter what I did. My car is bone stock with no modifications. The only thing I do to get better mileage is to keep the tires at 35psi.

Speaking of tires, someone asked and here are my two cents:
1. AVOID the Kumho Ecsta ASX like the neighborhood pit bull that is trying to kill your children. While they are chear and drive and handle nicely at first, I had 2 of them disintegrate on the highway, once when my daughter was driving. Another third tire was wearing abnormally after only 15k miles and would have suffered the same fate. They are crap and should be taken off the street. 'Nuff said.
2. The OE Dunlop SP5000s were OK but overpriced.
3. I am currently running Yokohama YK520s and could not be happier with them. They are a great blend of responsiveness, grip, and wear. It does not come in the standard 195/50-16, but I put on the upsized 205/50-16, and they work just fine.

I would say if you are getting sub-20mpg, you definitely have something wrong.

I will also say, this has been an utterly, completely reliable car. With 104k on the clock, it drives like the day I bought it and has ZERO rattles, no holes in the upholstery, no repairs other than cosmetic. The ONLY thing that has failed on this car is the #6 preset button on the radio, and even that works if I push it hard enough. Thank you Mazda, and I look forward to replacing it soon with a Mazda3 GT once I decide which of my 3 driving kids deserves to get my Protege5.

Matt

Old 03-28-2008, 06:31 AM

Hello Again,
I don't know the differences between the two models DX/5, I know my 5 is a wagon is the DX a sedan? Go to Edmunds.com and look them both up under used vehicles. I believe you can even do a side by side comparison. I made a mistake by the way, got the car with 18,000 original.

I personally don't believe any of those additives are going to improve your mpg's. I am going to do a tune up (plugs, filters.....)now that it is a little nicer out. Seems that there are alot of owners saying this helps a little.

Had a slow leak and was at Town Fair so I just bought what I thought looked best for tires. I bought (4)TOYOProxes TPTs @ $110.00 each, OUCH!!!!!!!!!for that muchthey should haveused a little lube for me. Okay for the first 75-80miles, I will post any negatives.

McReprog (or anyone else with an AUTOMATIC), I have seen a lot of post with auto tranny problems, yours been okay?
Also wondering about my rpm ranges. Car seems to really rev from sixty up. I added a couple of pics showing my rpms just over 3000 for 70 mph and about 3400-3500 for 80 mph. Just a touch of the peddle or a slight incline automatically adds 2-300 more rpms and then it seems to "slip" back down into a normal rev.
Really not use to autos, especially foreign.
I used cruise control and was on flat highway when I took the photos.

See Ya,
JJBroc

[IMG]local://upfiles/16437/5CA14350FB304568A1F6C9CAFB54186F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16437/690DED474CD649D682267715E1D6BC0C.jpg[/IMG]