Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2001 Protege A/C-Heater Fan Speed Knob Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2023, 12:59 AM
Smile 2001 Protege A/C-Heater Fan Speed **** Wanted

I know this is kinda weird, but the blower speed **** on my 2001 4DR LS Protege has _split along the **** shaft_. A repair with duct tape and glue failed, so now I'm looking for one used, if such exists. Anyone parting a Protege out, or know of a "***** R Us" kinda place I might query?

A/C-Heater Fan Speed Control **** (purple arrow)

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2023, 05:35 PM

Go here and sign up:

https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/

Enter your info. It will find vehicles that match.

There are suitable Protege's now in Anaheim, Santa Fe Springs and Wilmington (my area) if you're close enough. If not, enter your location and it will alert you.

Old 03-15-2023, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by TheUrbanSpaceman
I know this is kinda weird, but the blower speed **** on my 2001 4DR LS Protege has _split along the **** shaft_. A repair with duct tape and glue failed, so now I'm looking for one used, if such exists. Anyone parting a Protege out, or know of a "***** R Us" kinda place I might query?

A/C-Heater Fan Speed Control **** (purple arrow)

Thanks!
Where in So Cal are you located? I'm near CSUN.
I have the entire set.

Old 03-26-2023, 02:41 AM
Thumbs up Success w/Dealership!

Saudade and o.g.sk8er, thanks! Sorry for the tardy response, I've had a horrible cold.

It only took the dealer two tries (between rain floods) to get it right, ("Come back next week!") but I got the right one. Then I had to go back to the shop that installed the switch last year... See, the reason the **** broke in the first place was that the blower switch wasn't locked down tightly when the switch was replaced, and eventually it wound up ruining the **** as the switch shaft was jiggling around! I didn't twig to this until the **** wouldn't go on the shaft at all. I drove for a week with the blower stuck on "3".

Took the new and old ***** back to the shop that did the switch replacement with the paperwork, made the manager verify that the improperly mounted jiggling switch/shaft assembly had caused the problem, and he tightened up the switch in it's bracket and put the right **** I had on. The service manager wouldn't own it ("Uh, I dunno, the nut was just missing...") but there was no charge. Uh-huh.

Sheesh! The 12 Labors of Hercules to get a lousy **** and switch assembly done right! The biggest enemy this car has had in it's long life have been the idiots who have worked on it.* Good mechanics are a treasure when you can find them. This shop is too big, too many mechs and fleet accounts too. You never know who (or what) is working on your car.

BTW, there seem to be THREE versions of that blower ****:

One with no illumination (my original)
One WITH illumination (this is what I got)
And one that fits an entirely different shaft/switch.

Yeah, only TWO variables/runs are noted in the documentation, and my original wasn't on any of them! And yes, I bought the car new in 2001.

Go figure!

Don't get me wrong, I love my Mazda, best car I've had in 50+ years...but their motto should be:

"Mazdas are just different!"

Yowza!

*Yeah, I did most of it's work until I got too old. I've had 19 cars in my life. Started off with a crew running AA/ rail dragsters as a kid, and went from there. 19 cars.