Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2001 Mazda Familia S-Wagon Fuel Filter and Air Condition Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Default 2001 Mazda Familia S-Wagon Fuel Filter and Air Condition Filter

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and don't know if this question has been asked but i can't seem to find a replacement fuel filter anywhere online for the above mentioned vehicle. All the regular parts site i buy from seems to think that the filter is in the tank but it's not. It's actually located on the passenger side right behind the battery. Can anyone help me out here???

I am also trying to locate the air condition air filter in the cabin. There seems to be a foul scent all of a sudden and i want to have it replaced.

Thanks in advance for any help...

regards,

Dill

Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 PM

The fuel filter IS in the tank, can you take a picture of the filter your talking about? Could be the previous owner (if your not original) added a second filter.

As for the A/C smell it could be (if all of a sudden) a mouse that was caught in the fan, OR could be a bad case of mold, also I dont think you have a filter for the A/C on this car.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 AM

Hey,

Thanks for the speedy reply and im sorry for my late response but here are 2 photos of the filter i'm speaking about:

Name:  image_zpsb14a5eaf.jpg
Views: 72261
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  image_zpsba1b6714.jpg
Views: 78040
Size:  89.5 KB

I am the second owner of this car and i dont think the lady i bought it from would have the knowledge or even think about adding another filter. The fitment even looks factory to me.

About the AC scent, i dont believe it's any animal. It's not that kind of a scent, it's more like a wet cloth kinda scent. Where is the intake for the blower system located then. I want to have a look and probably clean the area.

Regards,

Dill

Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 AM

The air intake for the heating and A/C is right below the windshield in the cowel, automakers use this area because when you drive its a high pressure zone so that alone will force some air into the car without the need for a fan. I will look into the filter part now though

Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Default 2001 Mazda Familia S-Wagon Fuel Filter and Air Condition Filter

Thanks alot for the help but where or what is the "cowel"?? Also, when you switch the blower system to circulate the cabin air instead of using air from outside, where is the intake for thw cabin???

Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM

The cowl is the space between the windshield and the top of the hood, the wipers are usually in this area as well. If you look here you can also see a grill of sorts, this keeps out the big leaves, bugs and animals from getting inside. http://www.mantaline.com/wp-content/...owl-seal-2.jpg if you look on this picture the cowl is the grill looking thing on the right side, this is where the fresh air enters. When you put it on recirculate the air is usually pulled from the passenger foot well area.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 AM

As for the filter thing, can you take more pics of where the hoses lead to? I have a feeling this might be a vapor canister filter but I am not sure yet.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 AM

Ok but im sure it's a fuel filter because i removed it once to have it replaced but the replacement filter had a slight difference with the connections. I had to just flush the filter in reverse direction to clean it until i can get the correct filter.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM

Please post any kind of numbers you find on this filter! This will be of great help to others in the future!

Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 AM

No number on the filter. Just the usual "in" and "out". I went to a local parts dealer and the identified the filter from one of there books but they didnt have it in stock but i managed to get this number from the book: GF54821. Dont know if this will help as i couldnt identify the manufacturer that the book represents....hope the number helps

Quick Reply: 2001 Mazda Familia S-Wagon Fuel Filter and Air Condition Filter