Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2000 SP20 Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Default 2000 SP20 Rough Idle

Alright, after searching andreading almost every post there is about this subject I thought I'd write my own and see if anyone out there is facing the same problemsI am.

Car - 2000 SP20 (Protege) Tiptronic tranny.
Problem - Idles very erratic when warm to the point where it has stalledwhist waiting at traffic lights.
The idle starts off at 800rpm and then dropsafter 5sec to 300 and bobs up and down between 500 and 300.The exhaust sounds like it's Chuffing!

So far I have cleaned the MAF Sensor, cleaned the PCV valve, Cleaned the throttle Butterfly (This was carboned up and was causing a Sticking Throttle at Cold), Pulled apart the EGR valve and cleaned it out. Replaced NGK Iridiums with new Plugs and changed the air filter.

Yet the car stillruns like a dog.

I have only a few more things to try. I believeI may have a Vaccum leak around the intake manifold. Has anybody encountered this problem? I have read it somewhere and now lost the post?
My reason for this is after spraying a can of Rapid Start or Ether around the manifold the Revs picked up indictating a Vaccum Leak. I have a new gasket and will attempt replacing this weekend in the workshop.

If this does not workI willbe back next week to report on my findings.

So is anyone else out there having similar problems with their 2.0ltr SP20?

Old 10-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Default RE: 2000 SP20 Rough Idle

Well, car is all fixed and idles like a dream again.

It was as I hadthought, The Intake Manifold Gasket! Two huge cracks.

For those who have tried cleaning the EGR valve, resetting the ECU, Cleaning theMAF sensor, Cleaning the PCV valve and had no luck. I would suggest trying to detect if you have a Vacuum leak around the intake manifold. What you need is a can of Rapid Start or Ether. With the car running, spray a bit around the intake manifold or any vacuum line. If you notice the car pick up in rev's you know where your problem lies.
Might pay to have a bucket of water on hand as the spray is highly flammable so make sure you know the difference between your intake and exhaust manifold.

If you plan to attempt replacing the gasket yourself it is fairly simple and straight forward, not to mention a whole lot cheaper than paying some workshop to do it.

This job took me 3 hours with a bit of mucking around, if you have the right tools it should take you around the same time. If not it will take longer.

List of tools. 10mm, 12mm, 14mm socket set with extensions, pliers, 12mm ring spanner (with ratchet system, make life alot easier), 26mm spanner (huge indeed but required for exhaust line that goes to the EGR valve), axle stands to hold the car up so you can get underneath.