Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2000 Protege, assistance needed..

Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Unhappy 2000 Protege, assistance needed..

Hey guys, unfortunately i'm having some issues with a 2000 protege, 5 speed manual i bought not too long ago.

I was getting on the interstate and my CEL started flashing, acceleration not great, jerky movements. Call a tech friend of mine, he says i probably have a cylinder misfiring. I go and get the codes read and this is what they say:

P0106-MAP sensor signal out of range.

P0303-Cylinder 3 misfire condition detected.

P0401-Insufficient Flow detected.

P1170- Heated oxygen sensor-Bank 1 sensor 1, no change detected.

Okay. So, other than this misfiring, i love the car and have zero issues. Mostly I feel that the first three codes are what I should be focusing on.

The first two codes mention as probable causes, large vacuum leak and vacuum leak affecting one cylinder, respectively. So i'm thinking maybe it's a vacuum leak somewhere?

I really have almost no experience with cars, and have no idea where to begin with this problem. The research i've done so far leads me to believe there could be a myriad of different things causing this issue :/ I don't have a lot of money, been going through a lot of hardships, and I drive 16 miles to work ever day, so I really need to get this fixed, and do it myself if at all possible.

As possible causes, the third coded lists several issues with the EGR valve(don't know what that is). either blocked egr valve, faulty egr, egr boost sensor malfunction, or erg boost sensor solenoid valve malfunction.

Also, it seems fine on the interstate, it's when i'm accelerating and getting the speed up, I feel jerkiness and a lack of acceleration.

That's all the essential information I have at the moment. Any help would be ever so greatly appreciated. I will be checking often so if you have any pertinent questions, ask away.

-Mark

Last edited by ProtegeMark; 03-12-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM

check the intake hose to see if there is any tears or defects am refering to this right here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mazd...TI%3B300%3B300

make sure to check the underside too this is a common problem with the protege if it looks fine, get some MAF cleaner and clean the MAF sensor.

If problem still continues have the egr valve inspected and cleaned out if necessary.

Last edited by mazpro00; 03-12-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 PM

How old are the spark plugs?
Locate the EGR boost sensor on the firewall passenger side. Follow the vacuum hose going down behind the intake manifold. Pull it off the nipple and poke inside the nipple with a 2-3" long wire. If you encounter resistance poke through.

Do not drive the car with the CEL flashing. The catalytic converter may get damaged.

Last edited by tanprotege; 03-12-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

My techie friend seems to think it's my spark plug wires. We pulled one out and it was all messed up, so I ordered some new ones and am going to try that out. If that's a no go i'm going to try some of you guys' suggestions.

Also, it isn't constantly flashing, it only flashed the very first time it happened.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:20 PM

Ok. Consider doing the things we suggested anyway. In particular those that don't require expenditures.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:19 PM

Tanprotege, will do!. Still waiting on my wires..hopefully they'll get here today, the tracking code said it's out for delivery.

What do you guys think of that last code, the P1170? I just did a little reading and it seems it could be I need to replace my o2 sensor, or possibly MAF sensor? maybe MAP sensor as well?

I'm learning a lot already. This car seems easy to work on for the most part.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:25 PM

It seems logical that the p1170 could just be a byproduct of the misfiring cylinder, yes? or perhaps the cause?

Old 03-22-2014, 01:39 AM

It's not that simple. The code could have a number of causes. Your job is to find out which possible cause triggers the code in your car. In general these HO2 Sensors are very reliable. So if you get the code don't assume at first that it is the sensor's fault, assume that the sensor does its job correctly.

Here is a list I copied from another post somewhere:
Gotta be careful about P1170. It basically means the ECM doesn't like the output it's seeing from the o2 sensor. Could mean the sensor itself is bad or its readings are accurate and there's a air/fuel management problem of some sort. When P1170 is also accompanied by drivability problems, it makes an air/fuel mixture problem more likely. I'd start by inspecting the intake for leaks and also the condition of the vacuum hoses connected to the fuel pressure regulator.

Causes for P1170:

* Oxygen sensor malfunction
* Oxygen sensor heater circuit malfunction
* Fuel injector malfunction
* Fuel pressure regulator malfunction
* Fuel pump malfunction
* Fuel delivery hose restriction
* Fuel filter restriction
* Fuel return hose restriction or leakage
* Intake air suction or leakage
* Ignition coil malfunction
* Insufficient compression
* Engine malfunction

Suction leakage is another word for vacuum leak and the air intake hose is highly suspect. You need to take it off and bend it to see the cracks. you can wrap it with duct tape if it has cracks. Looks ugly, works well.

Last edited by tanprotege; 03-22-2014 at 01:41 AM.