Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2000 Protege - Air Filter Won't Fit

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 PM
Angry 2000 Protege - Air Filter Won't Fit

Hi All,

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I recently purchased a 2000 Mazda Protege ES (1.8L) from a friend. I've been trying to replace the air filter since I bought the car. I've tried all of the major aftermarket brands to no avail. Finally, I ordered the OEM Air Filter from the Mazda Dealer.

No air filter I've purchased will fit in the airbox, including the OEM part. Any suggestions? Is it possible that the airbox itself is not original? I'm not quite sure how to proceed at this point, I certainly don't want to pay for someone to do this for me.

Thanks!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:49 PM

anyway you can snap a picture of the airbox

Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by mazpro00
anyway you can snap a picture of the airbox
Thanks for responding. It's dark and freezing out so I took the best photos I could. Just noticed today that the taped up air intake hose was cracked. Plan on replacing tomorrow. Hoping there are no fitment issues come up there..

Attached Thumbnails 2000 Protege - Air Filter Won't Fit-1.jpg   2000 Protege - Air Filter Won't Fit-2.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 07:50 AM
Banned

A good cleaning may help along with a quality air filter.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
A good cleaning may help along with a quality air filter.
Thanks. I'll be trying that today when I replace the air intake hose. I figured the original Mazda part should be of good enough quality. This is the third filter I've tried, all of them won't allow the air box cover to seal over it but the old one slides in without a problem.

I'll take photos of the new and old air filters today if I keep having a problem. They look practically identical to me.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:33 AM
Banned

Some trimming won't hurt around edges.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:42 AM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by UseYourNoggin
Some trimming won't hurt around edges.
Why didn't I think of that? Your username says it all.

I'm not naturally mechanically inclined but I do what I can with the help of manuals and the internet. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by N628PW
Why didn't I think of that? Your username says it all.
That's exactly why I chose it!
I think out of the box a bit sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't work but it's worth a shot!

This thinking has made my intake system awesome and my exhaust system awesome!

Old 11-15-2013, 12:25 PM

So I replaced my cracked air intake hose and starting experiencing sputtering and poor throttle response. Also replaced the PCV valve.

Does the car's computer need to relearn everything now that a major leak has been repaired? Checked the codes, had P0421 (nothing new) but a new code P0171. Reset them and the car seems to run better, but I'm just wondering if this is typical?

Plan on cleaning the MAF and trying to get a the new air filter to fit.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by N628PW
So I replaced my cracked air intake hose and starting experiencing sputtering and poor throttle response. Also replaced the PCV valve.

Does the car's computer need to relearn everything now that a major leak has been repaired? Checked the codes, had P0421 (nothing new) but a new code P0171. Reset them and the car seems to run better, but I'm just wondering if this is typical?

Plan on cleaning the MAF and trying to get a the new air filter to fit.
YES: disconnect negative battery terminal followed by a few applications of the brake pedal before doing engine work. After doing your work, let it idle for at least 5 minutes. Now re-learning will begin.

p0171 is lean code i believe.

when cleaning MAF don't touch it inside, remove the whole thing from intake and spray the crap out of it letting it drip. Wave it around in the air to help dry it out. Shouldn't start it when wet.
I would suggest cleaning throttle body as well, at least squirt some throttle body cleaner in there.

For code p0421 put lacquer thinner in fuel tank, it will clean the pre-cat and O2 sensors as well. Do not use paint thinner.

You have no idea how happy i am that you changed the PCV! Mazda never changes it!

Quick Reply: 2000 Protege - Air Filter Won't Fit