Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2000 Protégé Air Conditioner - A/C and Fan control problem. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Unhappy 2000 Protégé Air Conditioner - A/C and Fan control problem. HELP!!!

I am having a problem with my A/C in my 2000 Protégé 1.6, just in time for summer.

Anyway, my fan only works on 4, and when I switch it to 4, the A/C light flickers on and off and I don’t get any cold air. On 1-3, my fan does not work. However, if I am driving with the outside vent set to circulate air, cold air does creep out of the vents.

I was thinking maybe it’s the Blower resistor, but the fact that the A/C also goes out when on 4 makes me think maybe it’s something else. I unplugged the wire going to the resistor, and it didn’t change anything. I still get full fan on 4 with no A/C. Has anyone run into this problem before?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:01 PM

It may be the switch itself. Keep wiggling it and see if it has any effects or replace with known good one.

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:01 AM

Our '99 has the same problem. We found that if you activate the AC button, then very slowly turn the fan speed **** from 3 toward 4 the fan will activate and the AC light will stay on. We then have AC. Also, if you drive at fwy speed with the AC button on/lit and control **** at 1-3 you'll get conditioned air forced into the cabin. This is good while in motion, but does nothing in stop&go.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Default Your Answer

A/C - Warm Air From Vents With Fan in #2 position

07-005/03
2001-2003 Protege, 2002-2003 Protege5
A/C SWITCH LIGHT GOES OUT AND/OR FLASHES WITH FAN CONTROL SPEED IN NUMBER 2 POSITION
APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS
2001 - 2003 Protege and 2002 - 2003 Protege5 built prior to 12/2/02 and with VINs lower than JM1BJ2***3*150990.
DESCRIPTION
Customer may experience warm air from the dash vents when operating the A/C system with the fan control speed set in the number 2 position for long periods of time. This condition may be caused by the improper logic within the heater control unit. The heater control unit has been modified to correct this concern.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify customer concern. 2. Remove and replace the heater control unit with a modified part according to Workshop Manual (section 07-40 CLIMATE CONTROL UNIT REMOVAL). 3. Verify repair.

This is very expensive part to replace. Do not buy a salvage part. Manufactured defect.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Several things that have an effect on AC. If compressor does not come on it may be over charged or under charged. Another thing to consider is if your engine temperature sending unit is bad. Your ECU (Engine control unit) will disable the compressor and condenser fan if the engine temperature sending unit is sending an inaccurate engine high temperature signal to the computer. On some Mazda models there are two engine temperature sending units. One for the gauge on the dash and one that talks to the computer. Don't use what the dash gauge says as the basis of what is controlling the ac.
I had the exact problem as you are describing and was fooled by the dash gauge. Go to advance auto and have them use an obd code reader and have them read the real time engine temperature that the computer is registering. If it registering as if the engine is overheating the ac will not come on.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:28 PM

just had this problem with my 2001, pull resistor and checkfor open, Standard brand T series is made in japan

Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 AM

My 2001 Protege just 'graduated' from the issue weathershaven describes (AC intermittent on fan setting 2 but fine on 1, 3, and 4) to the issue described in the original post (fan not-working on settings 1, 2, 3 but fine on 4; AC not working/intermittent on 4 but working(without fan) on 1-2-3.

I had thought it may be related to a wire pull / loose connection (I had been fiddling with the radio wiring; I originally had AC/fan/heater problems immediately after I had my aftermarket radio installed). Now, after finding this thread, I'm not so sure.

Last edited by thatmarkguy; 02-11-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-02-2022, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by thatmarkguy
My 2001 Protege just 'graduated' from the issue weathershaven describes (AC intermittent on fan setting 2 but fine on 1, 3, and 4) to the issue described in the original post (fan not-working on settings 1, 2, 3 but fine on 4; AC not working/intermittent on 4 but working(without fan) on 1-2-3.

I had thought it may be related to a wire pull / loose connection (I had been fiddling with the radio wiring; I originally had AC/fan/heater problems immediately after I had my aftermarket radio installed). Now, after finding this thread, I'm not so sure.

I am having the same thing. What did you find??

Old 05-02-2022, 12:29 PM
gbh
Old 05-02-2022, 06:12 PM

I cannot log into the link

Quick Reply: 2000 Protégé Air Conditioner - A/C and Fan control problem. HELP!!!