Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2000 mazda that wont start...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Default 2000 mazda that wont start...

hi im not the owner of this car but my mom is and not long ago she called me to say her car couldnt start...well i asked if she accidentally left the lights on, even tho she doesnt drive at night maybe she hit by accident...she said no but shell check again to be sure...we think its the battery but she told me it worked fine yesterday?! she also stated that the key wouldnt turn so she cant even check if it is the battery...is there another way besides the inside light to know whats going on?..my hubby thinks its the ignition area is not working, cause we had a car that had that happen and we had to change it out...
i even asked her if she could tell if someone messed around w/ the car she said no...shes worried it might be a BIGGER problem than a dead battery but i said ill find out on here and see what everyone says...so can some of you tell me what be going on? im really worried as she is too...thats her only mode of transportation...she lives in calif. and i live in reno, nv...
thanks for any help i can get, itll be much appreciated!!

Old 08-10-2009, 01:09 AM

try to jump it, that will help to figure out many of the questions that you have asked.

Old 08-10-2009, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by eeuler
try to jump it, that will help to figure out many of the questions that you have asked.

yeah she said shell have her insurance check on that before taking it to a shop to have it checked out...i just hate being out here and her down there in calif...ive urged her move closer so i can help , like in this situation......

Old 08-10-2009, 09:09 AM

insurance wont cover maintenance on a car, just have a family friend that lives by them go over and jump it. If the car starts from jumping you will find out that its not the starter, ignition, or an electrical problem. If it stys running when you take off the jumper cables it will be a bad battery, if it stops when you take the cables off its probably the alternator.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM

I don't know much of anything about cars, but my girlfriends car has troubles when she tries to start it with the key turning as you stated. She has to jiggle the key a lot while shes trying to turn it over, and slightly turn the wheel to either left or right for it to start. Maybe its just slimply a probably with it sticking of some sort?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Thumbs up update....on non starting mazda...

well good news it wasnt anything major....she told me monday that she went to get her extra pair of keys and tried to see if maybe it was her original key...and walla! it started up...*breathes a sigh of relief*...at least it wasnt something seriously wrong w/ the car...
so thank you to all for yr advice...