Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

2 questions about my 03 protege es's lack of power

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Unhappy 2 questions about my 03 protege es's lack of power

1. If I take my back seat out and pull out fuel pump, am I pulling out the fuel filter as well? I see a mesh looking sock.. but I get online to look at one. Im seeing 2 different styles, the canister one with a hose attachement on both sides, and one that has 2 hose connections on top... like what I pulled out today and Im confused with a problem. If its not directly built in with fuel pump... where exactly can I locate this? PLEASE HELP!!

2. The problem I have is diagnosing why my car wont drive faster then 30mph and it wont reach 2 1/2 or 3000 rpms.. If it does it bogs down, If I put my car in reverse, it goes real slow and doesnt want to drive. I need to know whats keeping my car from driving the speed limit. Does anyone know why my car idles rough and tries to die as soon as It warms up, and why It takes me forever to reach proper rpms for my car to shift? I cant drive proper speed limit. My friend says start with checking fuel filter and pump. The only problem is I cant find the fuel filter and it leads you to the first question. MY DETAIL OF EXPLANATION SHOULD SHOW THE SEVERITY OF MY PROBLEM! Thanks and please be as detail as possible

Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 AM
Banned

Mileage? (A MUST).
Any check engine light (cel)? Do you have a picture of an engine light up on your dash instrument panel where gauges are? We need codes! Go to a repair shop and get the codes. They plug a computer in to your car's ECU to get codes.
Starting with the most expensive thing and hardest to get at like the fuel pump is just ridiculous, especially with no code.

Your catalytic may also be clogged. All Catalytic Converters - How do I know if my catalytic converter is defective?
A clogged converter will cause increased backpressure in the exhaust system. This increased backpressure prevents the engine from breathing properly which in turn may cause the engine to quit after a few minutes of driving or feel like an engine governor limiting the RPM's the engine can achieve. You may actually hear a whistling or choking sound when applying the throttle.
How to check your vehicle's catalytic converter. - YouTube = How to check for clogged cat.

Have you ever changed spark plugs, ignition coils or PCV valve?
Have you ever cleaned your Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) or throttle body? http://www.motorweek.org/features/go..._idling_issues
Have you ever put in fuel sytem cleaner? Main Air Filter clogged or passages to it?
The above things are what you start with along with inspecting vaccuum hoses for leaks.

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 05-13-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Yeah iv changed sparkplugs. Im about to go get some fuel injection cleaner now to clean the lines if i can, I might have to hallow out the catalytic converter until i can get another one. I did check my mass air flow sensor and it looked clean. No residue at all, and no check engine light. It used to come on a while back and stay on but now its off and im glad but im not.. Thanks alot for the help. Im not blind when it comes to working on cars, I love wakin up in the mornin and just lookin at it with some coffee and a smoke haha.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Banned

Mileage?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:15 PM

about 180,000 and can I get codes with my check engine light off? surely I can if i go to a shop.. just askin tho

Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Banned

That's a lot of miles. So many things possible. I'm surprised you don't have a cel with those symptoms. You may get history codes or pending codes without check engine light on. Cats were made to last over 100,000 but not 180,000 especially as engine gets older burning oil. This is one reason why it is imperative to change your PCV valve every year with that mileage. Ignition coils not meant for that lifetime either. O2 sensors, same thing.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:41 PM

hey man thanks alot for the time ur taking to help me out... I think I found the problem.. The catalytic converter under the headers was stopped up hah.... I couldnt even see the little tinny wholes ontop of the catalytic converter it was so stopped up. so I believe i might have found the problem.. Right now im on a break cause the rain but I think it stopped so Ima go put this back in the car and see how things are goin from there. Iv replaced 1 o2 sensor but thats expensive stuff. Ill definately remember to change the pcv valve. Im trying to rebuild it.. Im trying to rebuild it.. Iv gotten all new gaskets, I need to replace the valve seats cause it came with the top end rebuild kit but I havent gotten around to that yet. ahh im pumped... I hope this catalytic converter was tha problem. Ill keep you posted. Thanks again

Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Banned

Glad to help. I just came in from painting the front porch railings (2nd coat). Now I got that Mother F'er done on Mother's Day! 2 afternoons to scrape, sand & prime +
2 afternoons to paint = 4 days (2.5 to 3 hrs each day).

Last edited by UseYourNoggin; 05-13-2012 at 07:24 PM.