Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1992 Mazda protege overheating fan N thermostat problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 10:38 PM
Default 1992 Mazda protege overheating fan N thermostat problems

This has been so rough especially someone who needs the car for income.
the fans stop working and car was overheating after long drives. got a thermostat and so my friend and I loosened the housig only to find hat the car never had a thermostat in it. Now since tried to put in our thermostat we can seem to get it to fit the box looking housing while our termastat is circular, it just dont stay it seem like it's not even made for that box termostat housing. The car has one owner an old man it has 80k miles I really need to have so better judgement as I am just going nuts. This is because ever since my friend opeene that housing and resealed it my car now within minutes goes overheating. Yes it was refilled wirh antifreezze and no we can't get the termostat into it

Old 01-10-2022, 08:32 AM

The thermostat goes with the spring side INTO the block. Assuming you got the right one, look for an arrow on the rim of the thermostat. If it has one, the arrow points upward. If your friend used a lot of sealant, it may have clogged the thermostat.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Saudade
The thermostat goes with the spring side INTO the block. Assuming you got the right one, look for an arrow on the rim of the thermostat. If it has one, the arrow points upward. If your friend used a lot of sealant, it may have clogged the thermostat.
Technician did this to the white mazda protege I was given for free. They basically fitted a smaller thermostat backwards so water would blow out the other side so the owner would go back to them when the head gasket blew up. It blew up and instead of going back they gave me the car for free so I could fix it and keep it.