Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1991 Protege Stalls Rough Running

Old 05-14-2018, 01:10 PM
Default 1991 Protege Stalls Rough Running

I have a 1991 Protege that is giving me issues with running, my mechanic is telling me that it's the Mass Air Flow. I located one that is refurbished and installed, the car runs almost as bad as before, expect with the refurbished it is running rich.
I've already replaced the fuel pump and screen (car wouldn't start at work and would just crank over, had a fuel pump go out in the past. Started immediately after I replaced it, then started in again.)
I've replaced the fuel filter as well, it still lunges while while driving and idles rough after its been running, I am also getting the check engine light as well.

It's the SOHC if that helps.

Thanks

James

Old 06-18-2018, 12:16 PM
Default Did you clean the throttle body?

Originally Posted by Steamin
I have a 1991 Protege that is giving me issues with running, my mechanic is telling me that it's the Mass Air Flow. I located one that is refurbished and installed, the car runs almost as bad as before, except with the refurbished it is running rich.
I've already replaced the fuel pump and screen (car wouldn't start at work and would just crank over, had a fuel pump go out in the past. Started immediately after I replaced it, then started in again.)
I've replaced the fuel filter as well, it still lunges while driving and idles rough after it's been running, I am also getting the check engine light as well.

It's the SOHC if that helps.

Thanks

James

James, have you cleaned the throttle body? How often do you check your oil level? Do know if your car is burning/consuming oil?

I'm asking because I have a 1992 Protege and it's giving me a very similar problem as you describe. I just bought the car a couple weeks ago, and I already have a whole list of things that I need to fix.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Could be a vacuum leak. The worst offender is the vacuum hose from the power steering booster because it is so big. Check the exhaust to make sure it flows well, could also be the CAT is clogged. The gaskets on the gas cap can go bad and that will give you a check engine light but the car will still run OK. The light may not be connected to your main problem.