Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

1.6L Universal Intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Default 1.6L Universal Intake

Hey...

Recently I noticed that my stock intake tub (from the airbox to the throttle body) had a crack about 3/4 of the way around it. It looked to have a few more runs before it cracked completely in half. I called a few different parts stores and none of them had the JDM replacement. The only option I had (Im not able to order off of the internet due to a problem with my credit card) was to buy an APC Universal Intake Kit from Advanced Auto. Everything looked to be in order untill I pulled the stock intake system out. The smallest connection the intake gave me was 3" but my throttle body's inlet was 2.5". I talked to our plumber friend and got the coupler to attach all of the piping when I ran into another problem. This is where I need help.

When I took out the stock intake, I forgot to look at the MAF Sensor. On the Protege, the sensor is screwed to the top of the air box. When I took it off of the air box I realized that the diameter of the MAF was significantly larger than the hole pre-drilled on the intake. I was wondering if anyone had a way to fix this problem. I am fine to customize whatever needs to be done. I was thinking that if I drilled out a bigger hole, screwed the sensor in, and sealed it with some sort of caulking that it would work but I dont want to screw up my cars idle. If anyone knows how I can fix this problem for sure, please let me know ASAP. I had to put the stock pipe back on and wrap it with duct tape. Its working ok for now but this can only hold up for so long.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Default RE: 1.6L Universal Intake

i recently put in an aftermarket intake and still have my intake left over...everything is perfect...unfortuneatly you need your own MAF sensor but i would be willing to sell you the stock intake no problem