Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

02 protege stalls after hitting boost ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 12:14 PM
Default 02 protege stalls after hitting boost ??

Hey guys I’m new to this forum stuff I usually just read from them never post but this problem has been killing me . I recently decided to boost my project car a 2002 Mazda protege lx and before boosting I rebuilt the engine completely forged rods pistons etc.anyways fast forward a couple of months and I have the turbo piping done. I decided to not run an intercooler and run from the turbo 2 1/5 inches all the way to the intake manifold . I have the intake temperature sensor still on the piping and my mass airflow sensor is before the turbo I am just wondering how come everytime I hit boost or rev up quickly and let go of the gas the car stalls but will start right up afterwards
have mercy on my lack of how forums work
-Kevin

Old 04-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

What ECU/PCM are you running?

What tuning has been done for boost?

If you haven't tuned it, the ECU will be having a fit not knowing what boost is.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
What ECU/PCM are you running?

What tuning has been done for boost?

If you haven't tuned it, the ECU will be having a fit not knowing what boost is.
I was wondering which one to get myself I always wondered why can’t i get a protege speed computer

Old 04-02-2018, 09:46 AM

Given your custom rig, your best option is probably one of the Megasquirt options and a professional tune.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Given your custom rig, your best option is probably one of the Megasquirt options and a professional tune.
can I tune it my self like fuel mapping ? And the weird thing is when I disconnect the maf sensor my car revs up fine but is running rich

Old 04-02-2018, 03:58 PM

I suppose it is technically possible, but I doubt you'd come anywhere near an optimal tune. My son just turbocharged his NA Miata, bought the Megasquirt, did the initial tune himself, and still ended up taking it in for a professional tune. Not convinced? The thing is, at the time he was the Navy's top mechanic on the GE F414 engine which powers the F-18 Super Hornet so he's pretty good with this kind of stuff.

In the end he said it was money well spent, the tune shop got considerably more power out of the engine and it actually improved fuel economy over the stock non-turbo version of the engine (assuming he keeps his foot very light on the go pedal).

Old 04-03-2018, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
I suppose it is technically possible, but I doubt you'd come anywhere near an optimal tune. My son just turbocharged his NA Miata, bought the Megasquirt, did the initial tune himself, and still ended up taking it in for a professional tune. Not convinced? The thing is, at the time he was the Navy's top mechanic on the GE F414 engine which powers the F-18 Super Hornet so he's pretty good with this kind of stuff.

In the end he said it was money well spent, the tune shop got considerably more power out of the engine and it actually improved fuel economy over the stock non-turbo version of the engine (assuming he keeps his foot very light on the go pedal).
I think I’ll go with that than save up for a mega squirt thank you !!