Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Suggestions ? Fuel tank/pump 1993 B2600i 4x4 w ex cab

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Default Suggestions ? Fuel tank/pump 1993 B2600i 4x4 w ex cab

Removed both-see pics- Now the problems. Tank interior is great-exterior very good except:
1) Nozzle(metal) , connected to hose has rusted thru about 1/2" from base- it does not seem to be a replaceable fitting - I can't believe the tank would be manufactured without this being replaceable.
Next, 2) The oval fuel pump assembly cover attaches to the tank flange with 6-8 small screws thru the top- they do not go thru or into the tank-they seem to end where the flange & tank join. They were severely rusted into the flange. Suggestions ? try to remove and/or redrill ? Q if I can't do 1) then why bother with 2) ?

Fuel pump assembly cover , metal nozzles and electric connections/holders are severely rusted but may still be somewhat functional. The problem is this cover is pretty much permanently attached to the rest of the assembly of which the pump is only one part. Every on-line parts store including the everpresent consumer parts show only the fuel pump-never the assembly or the cover. Any suggestions ??
Do I need a new tank and assembly ?

I hope this post will be able to help anyone else thinking about removing these items.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17077/031D89175DD948F09E2995154A658FF0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/17077/492E3EA148584D7C9D585BBB540D3343.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Suggestions ? Fuel tank/pump 1993 B2600i 4x4 w ex cab

If I didn't know better, I'd say they were attacked by West Virgina red clay!! But it's probably just years of winter road salt.
Have you priced a new tank? Perhaps they are not that expensive and it would be cheaper to replace than to fix.
Do the Ranger tanks fit the bill (interchange)in these years?
I'm sure someone would be willing to cut the old fitting of and weld a new one on... though it's touchy work and can be expensive, I'm sure.
As for the screws...? Hmmm. Ah....? Oooooo? That's a real tough one. But it would largely depend on what you decide to do with the inlet tube. Figure that out first and the rest will probably come to you.
At least they seem to be sticking up enough to grab w/Vise-Grips. Perhaps if you soak them in a rust busting product (we used to call it "skunk ****") for a few days they will be easier and they will be less likely to break off when trying to remove them. But I would guess WD-40 would not work so well in this case. You need something a little stronger to break the rust off those old, tired threads.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Default RE: Suggestions ? Fuel tank/pump 1993 B2600i 4x4 w ex cab

Thanks for the response. I manageg to get 5 of the 8 screw bodies out, 'bout par . I'll let the other 3 set overnight( PB Blaster ) but not optimistic. Regarding the fuel tank nozzle it's really only a hole with an attachment-it should be an easy fix , finding some place that understands this is the problem.
Welding is not an option-it should be an easy fix w a threaded something and durable/flexible washers.
I'm trying to cut any future losses . I can pay $ 130 for a fuel tank but I can easily replace it later if the fuel pump/assembly really is the problem. Then I'll get to the pitman arm setting next to me.
I figure I should learn as much as I can about this vehicle/repairs and share it with anyone that it may help. I'll keep posting