Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

Suspect immobiliser

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:05 AM
Default Suspect immobiliser

Hi everyone, first-time post.
I have a 2003 b2500 double cab. It works hard and has given me many years of relatively hassle free service.
About a week ago I tried to start it. Turned the key - all lights came on
Inserted the fob key to deactivate immobiliser - heard a click BUT the preheat coil light did not come on
Puzzled I turned the key - cranking but not starting.
I randomly checked and cleaned the connections on a bunch of fuses but was then late and took my wife's car.
That afternoon I tried to start again - No Problem! Yay.

Two days later after many stops and starts and many kilometres same thing happened. Random fiddling and a couple of tries and term mins later I was on my way.

Then two days ago I got to a client, stopped the truck and was asked to move as I was blocking the drive for a delivery. No coil light and no start.
I spent the entire afternoon trying everything I'd done before but eventually had to get a lift home. Yesterday I went back, got in and it started like nothing had happened.
I drove home but when I tried to leave again later - same story.

​​​​​i was told by a mechanic friend of mine over the phone that it is possible to bypass the immobiliser.
I understand the security implications so I was wondering if any of you have successfully done this perhaps you could PM me a solution or a diagram. Electrical things are not my forte and I'd really love a tried and tested diagram rather than risk shorting out or blowing up anything important.
Thanks in advance

Old 09-29-2017, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

I would be looking at the glow plug relay, seen a few go bad over the years.

Theoretically it may be possible to bypass the immobiliser, however, the immobilizer prevents cranking the engine from memory.