Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 07:30 PM
Hec
Angry Transmission help

How's it going everyone. Well it's been about three weeks trying to figure this out but I have a 93 mazda mx3 1.6 5speed and when I'm driving and take a turn while giving some gas I get a "clack clack clack" noise and feel it in the shifter. But when I push the clutch down while turning it doesn't do it. I changed the axles,ball joints,knuckles,tie rods. Can anyone tell me if it's really my tranny? And if so what trannys fit the engine from other cars because unfortunately I can't find one where I'm located. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 PM

I would have guesse CV joints.

The inner tie rod ends could make such noise.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:26 PM
Hec

Both are fine and new.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:03 AM
Super Moderator

You have two completely new axles?
So its only when turning?
Sounds like your diff might be stuffed.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:49 AM
Hec

Yea both brand new. Done at the same time. When I'm turning and accelerating it does the noise. But if I turn and push on the clutch it doesn't do it.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:22 AM

Trust the man with the scythe!

Grim reaper is usually spot on. What he said makes sense to me. When you step on the clutch there is no load on the diff, therefore no noise.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Banned

Motor mounts? Just a thought, it's worth a check, tranny's, diffs are expensive.
Tranny moving out of place causing wierd noises?

Old 08-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Hec

My mounts are good. I was getting this noise with the old axles too. I figured it was the axles because the last owner had a zip tie on it? I changed both but had issues. The inner shaft was stuck in the transmission(passenger side). I used a slide hammer, forks, prye bars etc. Not a budge so I dropped my transmission and took it to a shop. Got the shaft out and when I looked at it the teeth were shaved down on one side. But the teeth in the transmission were fine. Put it all together with new axles and it did the same noise.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hec
The inner shaft was stuck in the transmission(passenger side). I used a slide hammer, forks, prye bars etc. Not a budge so I dropped my transmission and took it to a shop. Got the shaft out and when I looked at it the teeth were shaved down on one side. But the teeth in the transmission were fine. Put it all together with new axles and it did the same noise.
Where did those teeth fragments go? --- inside tranny?
what did shop say about tranny, did you cahnge the fluid and inspect for spline bits?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:08 PM
Hec

The shop said it was fine. He was suppose to open it up but he didn't. The mechanic said it's fine. But never opened it. Yes the fluid was changed and they recommended putting gear oil in it.

Quick Reply: Transmission help