Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Removing rear break calipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:54 AM
Default Removing rear break calipers

I have a 1992 MX3 GS 1.8 Liter V6 VIN:JM1EC4321N0128952

In removing the caliper from the left rear wheel brake assembly I found one bolt holding the caliper. I removed the bolt. On the other side of the caliper I felt only what appeared to be a rubber dust cap. I did not try to remove the dust cap since with the one bolt removed the caliper appeared to be able to swivel (rotate) out of the way by rotating on the axis where the rubber cap was. Now I read where there is a 7mm hex screw under the dust cap and I probably should have removed the screw and totally taken the caliper off? Is it possible now that I have reinstalled the caliper and only tightened the one bolt back up that the other side is loose and unsafe? What confused me even more is that when I went to remove the caliper on the right rear there was the same bolt on the one side but on the opposite side of the caliper there did not seem to be any bolt at all or even a dust cap hiding a 7mm hex? Again the caliper just seemed to rotate out of the way on the axis on the opposite side to the bolt. There just did not seem to be any bolt or hex screw on that side of the caliper. Do these calipers simply rotate out of the way once the one bolt is removed or is there always a second bolt I should find and remove to get the caliper totally unattached?

Old 04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Default Brake Caliper

The one bolt is all it takes, if you were to take off the 7mm screw under the rubber cap that would be because your unable to get the brake pads to compress and fit back over the disc. Which leads to re-bleeding your lines, shouldn't have to go that far. A c-clamp will compress the piston back and it will hold long enough for you to get them back over the disc.