Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

MX-3 Parts Hoarder

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 01:18 PM
Red face MX-3 Parts Hoarder

My Story: 95 MX-3 RS MTX w/130K sitting in my driveway for 11 yrs since most of the exhaust sys. needed replacing. 1600cc DOHC B6-DE- same motor as 1st gen Miata - derived from the Mazda turbo'd GTX so it's NA but designed/built to be turbo’d. Daily driver from ’99 til 2011. My wife has been bugging me w/o mercy to get rid of it. I've resisted because I loved the car when it ran, did a few mods and over the years I accumulated a ton of mod and stock parts, intending to use the MX-3 as a project car for rebuild. Every time Rockauto emailed with wholesaler parts closeouts I p/u stock replacement stuff that never went into the car. Same with mods parts bought on deep discounts because so few MX-3's were sold I was afraid mod parts would not be available later on.

Then career got busy & the car sat.... & sat... Eventually put a cover on it, don't have a garage. Has same "fresh" synth oil and coolant I put in 11 yrs ago when I parked it. Kept the tires inflated to 40 psi. Now I'm semi-retired so have time to work on it and after taking recent inventory of my parts stash (it is embarrassing, ridiculous really), I'm thinking to keep the MX-3 and go with my original plan for a project car. My wife is PO'd & calls me a certifiably insane parts hoarder but the driveway is my domain... right? ;-) You might agree with me or think I'm nuts but that’s my story & I’m sticking to it….