Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Loose steering/car drift problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Default Loose steering/car drift problem

Hey gang,
I have a 1996 MX-6. I've been having trouble for a while now with the steering of the car. It feels very loose, almost like it drifts a bit, especially when cornering. Not being a drift racer this can be kinda alarming. I recently took a highway on-ramp a little too fast [not super speedy, just a little faster then the 25 posted] and when I started to slow my car swung around to face the wrong way. I didn't slam the breaks or lock them up, it just didn't have the friction it should, like I had a pair of slicks on there. Fortunately no one was right behind me and I got turned around quickly enough. It was dry, average day, no rain, wind etc. Since then I've taken it easy but I live in the north east and winter is coming.
Is it the tires? they aren't that old, still have decent tread, but weren't the most expensive pair or anything. or is it possible something in the suspension is causing this? or perhaps the sterring unit itself?
any help would be appreciated before I take it to the shop.\
Thanks!

Old 10-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Default RE: Loose steering/car drift problem

I would first check to make sure tire pressure is correct on all 4 tires. Can you see much "slop" in the front tires when turning the steering wheel while sitting still? Just stand outside the car and wiggle the steering wheel. Are the tires wearing properly? If not that could be a clue to alignment problems.

I did have a Nissan in the past that I put the Pepboys "not the best", but new tires on that had that same feeling. It was something about those tires.