Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Just bought a used MX-6, a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:01 AM
Default Just bought a used MX-6, a few questions

Hey everyone. I'm glad to say I finally got a new (to me ) car, a 93 MX6. It's black, with the 5 speed tranny. I'm not sure what engine size it is, it's the 4 cyl DOHC, looks the same as the engine in my dad's 95 protege except mine has a ford emblem on the valve cover.

but anyway, I'm very excited about it to say the least. Picked it up for $1,500, and then gave the guy an extra $100 to put new front axles in it.

which brings me to the questions-- are there any parts that are prone to going out in these cars, or anything I need to pay special attention to? Any tips on things I should replace on it this weekend when I do the tune up (oil change, plugs/wires, etc)

Any and all feedback would be appreciated. I'm really glad I found this site, it appears to have alot of good info. mazdas have been a popular thing in my family, we've had (2) 626's, 2 proteges, a millennia (sp) and an MPV.... and now the MX6 (which is my son's). thanks you all!

Old 03-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Default RE: Just bought a used MX-6, a few questions

Hi DarrylLeeOHS30 and we are glad you found us as well.
Always nice to see a new face, especially one with such a history of Mazda cars. The 4 cylinder for that year was a 2.0L for your future info. Odd that the MX6 would have a ford emblem on the valve cover unless the engine was replaced at some point in its lifetime with one out of a Ford product. None came from the factory that way.
Getting a good jump start on the maintenance is an excellent idea. Not any major or very common problems that I can think of for that year and model right off. Valves are hydraulic so no adjustment is needed. When replacing the plugs, make sure there is not any oil leaking into the plug wells. Don't want to be contaminating a nice new set of wires from a leaky valve cover gasket. You might want to consider looking at the timing belt and water pump to see if they has ever been replaced. Due at 60k and at 73k miles on the odo should be ok but it is also 13 years old which takes its toll as well (given of couse that it is the original engine ). Engine is clearanced so if the timing belt does break then you are not in danger of destroying valves anyway.
Anyway, glad to here from you and hope to hear more about your cars in the future!!

Old 03-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Default Yeah

I have a MX-3 4 cyl and I have not had one problem with it.. But my friend had a MX-6 and he raced it constantly and had not one problem with it..Then he sold it for a 300ZX but he wishes he had it back now..It was a fast car(His was a V6)