Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

92 MX3 problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:33 PM
Default 92 MX3 problems.

hi, i just bought a 92 mazda mx3 precidia. but it seem that when i put on the head lights, the low beams are really super dim, and don"t even light up the road at all, but they are on. what could be causing that? also i can"t seem to unlock my drivers door with my key? what could that be? does any one know how to fix these problems? thanks every one so much for their time!

-Aaron

Old 12-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 92 MX3 problems.

Hi Aaron, and welcome to the forum.
First the headlights: Common problem not only w/Mazdas. Check for a good and positive ground. Chances are good that the original ground is lost or weak and the headlights are finding ground through another source that also has a high resistance.
For the door lock, it sounds like the mechanical rod has detached itself from the lock cylinder.Remove the door panel to see what you can see. It may be a simple matter of reattaching the rod. There isusually a metal clip that holds the two together. If that"s gone, it might be that it fell to the bottom of the door, so check for that also. If it"s not there, itmay have fallen out of a drain hole and it will need to be replaced w/the correct one. (A trip tothe dealer.)
These are both common and fairly simple problems to solve, and w/alittlemechanical know-how and persistence, yourcar should be working perfectly before long. Best of luck to you, and kepp us informed.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:12 PM

hey, thanks so much for getting back to me. ill have to see about the light, so do you mean pretty much take out the whole headlight assembly and check for the ground wire right where the bulb sits? also with the door, we took the pannel off, and im pretty sure the rod is in place, but come to think of it there was 2 rods, and im not sure about the 2nd one, i know the 1st one is inplace (alwoing me to open teh door from inside). i also did find a sorta metal wire brace/clip thing that was in the bottem of the door, but i have no idea where oor how that goes on.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Hey Rex,
On another note, I had both of these problems but the solutions were different from virgin1's answer. My headlight covers had turned yellow from too much sun exposure and it came off with some remover I bought at the auto parts store. The lock had a plastic rain cover that broke off and jammed itself into the lock preventing my key from opening my door. I had to replace the lock as no one could pull it out. Now I have a door key and an ignition key. Hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:25 PM

i asked my automotive teaher at my school about it and he said that it is most likly that my headlight switch is toast. can any one confirm that? so then i took off my steering collom pannle and me and my dad have no idea how to get the switch out, as it is a whole lot more complicated that we thought. any ideas on how that comes out? does any one have like a schematic on that? also in reply to jokesing i know the door has something to do with it being inside the pannle and with all the connector rodes, as my key goes in the cylinder fine and turns too. also any one have any schematics on how the door lock system works? thanks every one! HAPPY NEW YEARS!