Mazda MX-3 and Mazda MX-6 These two sporty models have become popular cars for import tuners due to the availability of parts, the low price, and the smooth lines.

Scared Teenager PLEASE HELP ME Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Default Scared Teenager PLEASE HELP ME Tranny

So I'm 17 and I just bought my first car which just so happenly is a 1992 Mazda MX-3, Ok so here I am driving the car down the road, it already runs rough when the car is in reverse or is idle in drive. I was reading some posts and saw that the hold button flashing meant the tranny was shot, PLEASE GOD tell me this is not the issue. The cruise control is missing 2 (What I believe is vacuum hoses) I am begging for any information on this for anyone to come forward and help me. It shifts fairly decent, could a vacuumn hose be missing that belongs to the hold button making the car run rough and HOPEFULLY making the hold light blink? I am literally begging for some help on this I will give you plently of pictures whatever you need, They do not make a Haynes manual for my car. I cannot afford a new tranny.

Please give me help on this.

Thank you

Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Default RE: Scared Teenager PLEASE HELP ME Tranny

Hey bud before you go replacing your tranny, check the fuse responsible for the seat belts, if its burnt replace it and see if that fixes the problem...

Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 AM

Well, I cant exactly help you because I'm no mechanic, but I know how u feel, I'm 18 too have a 92 MX3 that went down the drain but it was my engine that went instead of the transmission. I can tell you however that they do make a manual for it, it's a combination MX6/MX3 book and i got it at Auto Zone. Hopefully that's at least a little helpful.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 PM

Honestly my advice is you live you learn. Just because you may have been able to get the car at a next to nothing price doesn't mean that it's in perfect condition. Learn how to check for problems with cars before you jump on a deal and buy it. If a car has a knock in the engine, you have pieces about to fail (or bad gasoline), if you have problems reversing it's gears in the transmission about to fail on you. The roughness idling in drive is a need for a tune up, timing check, cylinder pressure check, plugs, wires, modules, raise in RPMs - could be any of that. I'm not a Mazda specific type of guy so I'm not sure about your hold button, most cars have dummy lights that come on when there's any sort of problem and it could entail one of a dozen things. On cars I've worked on the cruise doesn't have vacuum lines on it, if that doesn't work its most likely the module is shot. My suggestion is take it to a mechanic, find someone that you know you can trust or something and have them look it over. Transmissions are expensive and if it's that, get rid of the car while it's still got half a one left working in it. PM me if you have questions.