Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

tranny fluid check

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Default tranny fluid check

hello babyhuey, how are you? i am still around and not gone i only go to the site and read some of their complained and read your answer to them you are really been very helpful. my question is i replaced tranny fluid on my 2002 MPV i did what you told everyone, by loosening the drain plug and put just how much came out. at least i pour 4 qts and a half of fluid. now i have been trying to read the dipstick, i just could not tell because the fluid is all the way to the top of scale "A" but if you look closely at the dipstick the fluid was not solidly cover the width of the dipstick. the twisted bottom part is covered. do i need to add some more but then again there is no driving problem yet? thank you

Old 07-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Default RE: tranny fluid check

I am doing just fine bobbyt46. How have you been doing?

There should be three marks on the transmission dipstick as shown in drawing below. The lowest one, closest to tip of dipstick, would be slightly low fluid level when cold ( 65'F ), middle mark is full when cold but slightly low when at operating temperature of around 150'F. The top mark would be full fluid level when at normal operating temperature. If your level is within the two lower marks when cold and between the two upper marks after driving for 1/2 hour or so then level is just fine. Does not have to be exact but just between the marks. The level will appear to increase as the fluid heatsup due thermal expansion so is a little tough to be exact. A little bit underfull or overfull will not cause you any problems.

Did you ever discover why you were getting the loss of power after driving for the couple of hours?

Old 07-06-2007, 07:01 AM

thank you for the quick responsed. no i never found out why i am loosing power after driving for a while. anyway why is it that everytime i pull the dipstick and take it out the fluid does not cover the width of the disptick from the B mark up that is why i thought i am lowon fluid? i followed the direction to check it without driving to normal operating temp. i checked it in the morning let it idle for 2 minutes then move the lever in all gears pull out stick reinsert.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:31 PM

You should not need to move the shifter thru the gears to get an accurate reading. That is really only for when the fluid is changed or flushed. For just normal checks, start up engine and allow to just run for a few minutes with dipstickout. Insert and you should get about as accurate of a reading as you are going to get. After driving or shifting thru the gears you can get oil splash up inside the dipstick tube which can make getting a good reading more difficult.

Old 07-07-2007, 08:58 AM

once again thank you babyhuey i will try that.