Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Sputtering

Old 05-28-2007, 01:47 PM
Default Sputtering

New member to the site. Great information!

We have a 2003 MPV (58k miles). Wehad the O2 sensor replaced (not sure which one) about 10kmiles ago and recently had the 60K mileservice performed at the dealer.

It just started sputtering at idle and as we accelerate. Any help would be great since we just spent a load at the dealer for the big service.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Default RE: Sputtering

I have a 2002 MPV ES (76k miles) and had the 80k service performed at the dealer.

A week afterwards, I started to notice a similar stutter while at idle at a stop light.

Two weeks later, I still have the issue and also during acceleration at low speeds (20-40 mph).

Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 PM

Two things that have been creating some rough run problems on both of your vans. The PCV hose becomes deteriorated and ruptures creating a large vacuum leak. This one you can usually hear as there will usually be a hissing type noise present at roughly center back area of the engine. This hose was recalled for replacement some time back with a more rigid and oil resistant hose. Would not typically create the stutter on accel though.
You most probably have a ignition coil(s) that are failing or have already failed. Very common problem on the 02 and later MPV's. Unless your CEL comes on with a specific missfire code P0301-P0306 it will be extremely difficult to determine which one(s) are failing. The MPV is very bad about not setting missfire codes and am surprised that this has not become an issue with Mazda.
The dealer does have the capability of a missfire check with the latest Mazda diagnostic tool or IDS. It will actually monitor for missfire on a real time basis during a test drive to determine which cylinder is causing the missfire and stuttering you are feeling.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 PM

My 2000 MPV has been giving me a #6 cylinder misfire code for the last couple of months. It happens about once a week and then clears itself. I have been told the coil probably needs to be replaced. It has one (instead of six). My mechanic tells me I can probably replace it myself. How difficult is this job?

Old 06-24-2007, 11:00 PM

My wife has a 98 MPV which started sputtering after it gets hot. It seems to be worst upon acceleration. Sometimes it will lose all power but rarelystalls. After pulling over for about 5 minutes, upon restart it will run fine for a short period of time then acts up again.Changed fuel and air filter, also blew out the mass air flow sensor. Any Help?

Old 06-25-2007, 02:06 PM

What kind of other repairs have been tried on the 2000 MPV clymore?? Think I would want to start with spark plugs and plug wires before the more expensive and less probably coil.

Sputtering on a hot accel sounds more like an ignition system problem Tim MPV. Would start by checking the secondary ignition components such as plugs, wire, distributor cap and rotor as a start. Distributor cap center buttons getting burnt up and causing missfire are not at all uncommon on older MPV and expessially noticeable after engine warm-up.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:15 PM

Thank You, I will try new plugs, wires, rotor and distributer cap. I will let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 PM

babyhuey

I saw something somewhere that said the catalytic converter might be stopped up, would that cause stuttering and loss of power after it gets hot? Also then when you stop and restart the engine it will clear up for a short period.
you da man!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:25 PM

Baby Huey

Help-- Tried new plugs, rotor button, wires and dist. cap. Still no luck. I took it back to Auto Zone to put on the tester and it showed 11 codes this time. A friend said it is probably the computer. I pulled it out to see if it was getting very hot and noticed that thethat when I shut the engine off and let the green relay click before restarting, it would clear up for a short period. Computer or relay? Would the mass airflow cause so many codes?

Thank You
Tim

Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 PM

11 codes!!!!! Sounds like you hit the jackpot Tim MPV.

Did you happen to write them all down?? That many codes does often indicate a faulty control system such as the PCM but not necessarily. Have seen a faulty air flow meter create a bunch of codes if it is grounding out the 5 volt reference signal from the PCM but have also seen some do the same that do not set a single code at all. Your air flow meter does not actually get this reference voltage but instead gets regular battery voltage from the main relay.
If you could list the code numbers, that could point us into a direction with something in common with all. You also mentioned letting the green relay click after shutting off the engine and then problem would clear up for a while. Do you know what this relay is for? or at least where it is at? Is this relay down by the computer under the passenger floorboard? How long does it take after shutting off the engine before this relay clicks?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sputtering