Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Self Leveling Shocks

Old 01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Default Self Leveling Shocks

My dad has a 1996 Mazda MPV v6 4WD with rear self leveling shocks. The shocks have been bad for some time now and he actually had to remove the back row of seats so the *** wouldn't hang like a ninety-year old widow’s. The dealer sells these for an outrageous amount... something like $350 each. I don't recall specifically. We've searched up and down the Internet for replacement air leveling shocks and have had no luck. It looks as though nobody sells or makes aftermarket shocks like these. I hope I'm wrong. Does anyone have information where obtaining these at a more decent price may be possible?

Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Default RE: Self Leveling Shocks

They are definitely available haux. Perhaps not ones that will be the self leveling kind that work with your current load leveling system and are straight bolt up replacements but just regular air shocks. Have installed quite a few that have a schrader type valve you can mount on the rear bumper area so you can set the pressure in them in the same way you would your tires.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:05 PM

I have the same van (1996 MPV) witha similarproblem with the self leveling shocks. The back is sagging, and the front is raised all the way - the compresser runs constantly while the engine is running. I think it's killing my battery. I would like to be able to just disconnect the leveling function. Is there any way to do that? Is it safe? Or is my best bet to try and find replacements like the ones babyhuey suggested?

Thanks,

Old 02-02-2007, 07:33 PM

It is completly safe to disable the system if the compressor is just running all of the time but not raising the rear end up at all. Rather useless to have running anyway. Either one or both of the air shocks is leaking or the air line from the compressor to the shocks is damaged. One of the more common areas for air line damage is near where the line runs by the battery. Just follow where the line comes up out of the top of the compressor and visually check for a break in the line. Under vehicle is a little tougher as it run above the fuel tank for a short distance. Spraying lines, connection points, and shocks with soapy water can also help to locate.
If you are just looking to disable, then open the under dash fuse box cover and locate the 30 amp fuse lableled "ALL" for Automatic Load Leveler and simply remove the fuse.
Am not aware of any direct replacements that would utilize the existing system to automatically change rear ride height. Link below is to some replacement air shocks that you would manually fill with air to whatever height you wanted. A schrader valve is mounted pretty much wherever you want if and then you would fill shocks with air in the same way you would inflate your tires.
Also seems like a remember a number of years ago just replacing the air shocks with regualar shock absorbers as the customer did not care to have the adjustable height program at all. Am also pretty sure that we just used OE shocks but for a van without the Tow Package. They only retail for $63.00 or so.

This one is for 2WD.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...50&ptset=A

This one is for 4WD.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...50&ptset=A

Old 03-28-2007, 07:10 PM

I have a customer who has a '94 MPV with the V-6 4WD. The suspension is in dire need of repair, however way too costly for them. I was wondering ifthere are anystandard (non-airride) pieces that can be used instead?

Thanks,

Shane.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:38 PM

You should not have any problem using a non-air ride rear shock. When you call in for some prices, the parts store should ask if the van has the tow package or not. Just tell them it does not. The rest of the suspension on the MPV is the same. Only difference between tow package equipped or not is that the tow package equipped used air shocks and not equippedused regualar hydraulic shocks.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Hi I have the same mazda 97 i just buy but the rear shocks is changed, it have hydraulic shocks with springs but went my family are on the mpv it louse height and the light sensor keep on all the time,

Old 09-22-2009, 11:56 PM

I see web ads for air shocks like babyhuey mentions. Why couldn't you just use these and hook them up to the OEM air lines on MPV's that have the ALL? They seem to have the same fittings and lines than the OEM system.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:02 PM

I have been fighting with this same problem for some time now. There is a company that sells a kit to replace the air shock with a coil over shock system, however I have been waiting 3 months now to get my product.
Anyway, I have confirmed with my local mazda parts dealer that the springs between the two different suspension systems are different.
The auto level feature used a 'weaker' coil spring in the rear and relies on the air shock to correct the ride height.
I do have part numbers (to work for a 97 mpv 4wd) that I can provide tomorrow (left them in my office).
When talking with the parts guy, make sure to ask for the coil springs that do not have the air shock. A couple times I spoke with the parts guy and they would only go with what the vehicle came with (not allowing to alter it from factory specs). Once again, will post the part #s tomorrow.
The part number for the Non Air-Ride coil springs is LA1228011B.

Last edited by ctough74; 10-21-2009 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Default Leaking rear shocks

ctough74- I've been researching this problem in this forum and others. I too have a leak in my system, thou I don't know where it is. 1 posting said the most common spot was where the air line comes out of the compressor. Everything I've read has made me conclude that you can use the Monroe MA 818 shocks, HOWEVER if you do, you can't jack up the rear of the van unless you lift it from the axles/differential. The Monroe shocks supposedly have a longer shaft, and if you lift the van from the body, it'll try and tear out the leveling sensor that's attached to the differential. Also note that if/when your compressor dies, you'll have to replace it at a high cost. There's a posting on this too. Look around for it and you'll see how another person solved that problem. OEM shocks from the dealer are a rip off. There's an ebay store selling supposedly OEM shocks at a good price. When the time comes to replace my shocks, I'll go with the Monroes thou cause when my compressor dies, I'll just convert the ALL to a manual system using the air inlet and a little power outlet powered air compressor to blow up the shocks while on the road. When I do that I'll just yank the fuse out of the fuse box disabling the compressor. Good luck and please post your results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self Leveling Shocks