Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Purge Solenoid Noise

Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Default Purge Solenoid Noise

We just bought a nice, used 1998 MPV 4x4 with 118k miles.
It has a very loud ticking noise that I, at first, thought was a bad HLA. Today I got under the hood with my "listening stick" and tracked the noise down to the Canister Purge Solenoid. While I'm really happy it's not the lifters, what can I do?

There is a Mazda fix for this which requires replacing the rubber mounts but, since the thing is so loud, I am not sure this will be sufficient. So...should I replace it or can I shroud it with some sort of sound insulation?

It is clicking on-and-off rapidly, fairly constantly and is really annoying (inside the car too). Is the fact that it is so frequent an indicator of some other Fuel System issue such as leaks in the vapor system? Should I replace the Charcoal canister? Look for bad hoses? Tricks I may have missed?

Any advice for quieting this solenoid down would be greatly appreciated!