Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

oil all over undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Default oil all over undercarriage

PI own a 98 MPV 4WD. I noticed oil on the driveway underneath my van. I took it to a very reputalble mechanic who I trust. He put it on the lift and saw there is oil all over the undercarriage. We checked the oil and it looked clear, so it os not the engine oil or the transmission. He could not locate the source but thought it might be the power steering.or the CV joint leaking I did not want to pay for a troubleshooting fix that I could do so I checked the PS reservoir and it is full. I can not afford another vehicle nor a very expensive fix. Can someone recommend what I should do to find the problem.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:00 PM
Default RE: oil all over undercarriage

First time I changed my oil filter on my 2000-MPV it leaked oil everywhere! Took it off & reapplied it but though it leaked less it still leaked. Finally got under & up close & personal with the filter & found that it
was not back far enough on to be threaded even though to me it felt like it was threading on all the way down. Turned out I had to push a small thin metal plate out of the way in back of the filter & push it back on the stem to get it to thread down snug & then only a half turn tight was enough to secure it & no more oil leak. Hopes this helps.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Clean it up well,drive it then check for leaks again.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:33 PM

After many attempts by the dealer to find the leak, a local mechanic found my 97 Mpv valve cover had a hair line crack. It was hard to find because it would only leak when the car was moving and it was a slow leak. It turned out to be the passenger side, back, right, lower corner of the valve cover.
He replaced the valve cover and we haven't had any problems since. It could also just be the valve cover gaskets. What a mess it caused.