Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

New exterior door handle doesn't get door to open

Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Question New exterior door handle doesn't get door to open

Hi!

I just replaced the exterior sliding door handles on my 2002 MPV (using instructions found here and elsewhere, thanks!).

Following instructions, I got the whole thing replaced. But the exterior handle, when pulled, doesn't pull the release cables far enough to actually cause the latches to disengage. The interior door handle works just fine, so it seems to be a problem between the door and the interior mechanism (there is a small metal bar that I have clipped in place to connect the exterior handle to the door control mechanism).

I am tempted to return the door handles as not-effective, but was just wondering if there was a way to increase the tension between the door handle and the metal bar that might solve the problem.

Thanks!