Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Need opinons, should I keep her or let her go..98 MPV

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Default Need opinons, should I keep her or let her go..98 MPV

I just recently joined, as a member from the mpvclub tipped me off to your site, so I will give it a try, as I posted this on that site, hoping to find some help....;

So far she has been great, 98 All Sport, 73K miles. I do the tranny flush on her every month with the oil change so no problems there.

The problem is, the car was free, given to me while in Hawaii and with a broken timing belt. The previous owner did not want to deal with it, so I inherited it, and got the job done, also got taken for $1200 on the job (going rate in Hawaii). But here is the problem, when this independant mechanic did the job, he broke one of the hydraulic tensioner bolts, the bottom one I believe, as I always check work after its done, it seems he siliconed the bolt to make it stay, but it pulled right out and I could telled it had been broken. Of course I am no longer in Hawaii, and had no time to take it back or whatever. It has been running ever since on California Freeways 7K or so.

I finally got time the other day and was turned on to a so-called Mazda master mechanic, and we spoke of my situation, and if I needed to dump this rig before the s&^t hits the fan, cause I know its coming...

He told me that if the mechanic broke the bolt coming out, then its harder than I think, cause it could be magnetic electroltyes fused by the aluminum block and the steel bolt, or something or other, and that the bolt could be fused and locked inside which could cause more damage if someone tries to go in there and tap it out. He also said that there is not enough room to get the drill in there and do the job, its risky bascially, and if something happens, not in my favor, it could cause a wealth of problems amounting to alot of cash, for a car that runs smooth as silk today...bascially dont bother with the risk.

He told me to sell it asap, start looking for another ride, then get it ready to sell. What do you guys think of all this? I hate to give her up, she's been a great ride for only $1200, of course a gas beast, but other than that, nice to have, what should I do? I am of course looking around at other cars, as the mechanic said its only a matter of time before the belt goes again...I am living on borowed time...Any ideas, or perhaps anyone know of a good quality mazda mechanic in the LA area that I can count on for this job, as i am not willing to take this job on myself.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:06 AM
Default RE: Need opinons, should I keep her or let her go..98 MPV

"magnetic electroltyes fused by the aluminum block and the steel bolt," Now that is one that is new to me. Sounds more like the bolt was overtightened and broke off. If there is some of the bolt that is still sticking out of the block that will keep the tensioner from pivoting and the other bolt is ok then would bet that you would be just fine in driving without a worry. The broken stud bolt (not being a good thing ) should keep the tensioner in position as long as the other bolt will keep the part aligned and tight. Not the best of situations but one that you could certainly live with for a good long time.