Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

MY MPV GAS MILEAGE STINKS!! HELP???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Default MY MPV GAS MILEAGE STINKS!! HELP???

I have a 2004 MPV LX. When I bought this van, since it's so super light and small for a mini van, plus fairly new technology and Japanese, I made the assumption that it would be decent on fuel economy. Boy was I wrong! This van inhales the gas like crazy. We have to gas this baby up at least four times per month and we mostly just drive locally around town here and there. It's a real pig. I love my MPV except for two things: I've had to replace all six ignition coils since I've owned it and it's a gas mileage hog.

I was thinking about putting a K&N air filter on it. Would that help the mileage much? I make sure my tires are filled, I replace my own oil with factory filter and synthetic oil. I baby it. Any ideas from you guys about how to improve my fuel economy? This van's killing us on gas but since it's paid off I don't want to sell it nor could I afford a new payment. Help!! Ideas??

Old 06-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Default RE: MY MPV GAS MILEAGE STINKS!! HELP???

What kind of mpg are you getting? Hard to tell by your description. Wife routinely gets about 20 in town on 03 LX, hauling three kids and assorted junk. That's warm weather mileage. Goes down in the cold, increases on steady trip (25 or so at posted 75 mph limits here). That's not great but it's not horrible and comparable to friends who own Siennas and Odysseys.

Tom H
Colorado Springs, CO