Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Ignition Coil

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 12:59 AM
Default RE: Ignition Coil

how much do you estimate it will cost for someone to do this job? Removing the intake plenum is not easy, I got all the front bolts out but I guess there are more in the back cause that thing is not moving and there is hardly any room to work with. Any advice on this one?

Old 04-02-2006, 03:58 AM

It would probably be a couple of hours labor to be charged to finish. Few other things in the back left to get the manifold up and out. Starting on the passenger side of the compartment there is a bracket for the wire harness. Is near the front of the engine and has two connectors attached to it. You can either remove the 10mm bolt holding it to the manifold or release the harness from the bracket. I always just take out the one bolt and remove the bracket. If you can wiggle your hands to the back area of the manifold there is a support bracket at the back that is easily released by removing the 8mm bolt into the manifold. Have to do this one by braille as you cannot get eyes on it so be patient and feel for it. Further to the drivers side you need to remove the 2 12mm bolts that hold the EGR valve onto the manifold. Just below that and further in is another support bracket for the manifold. Use an 8mm socket to remove that bolt as well. Disconnect the large vacuum line to the brake booster at the booster ( is much easier as getting loose from the manifold is a B ). Disconnect the electrical connections for the TPS, IAC, and Temp sensor belowthe throttle body. The wiring for the TPS etc bind up with the vacuum lines below the throttle body but just get them untangled and manifold should now pull out without to much trouble. Lot of things back there but just feel with your hands for anything that is still giving an obstruction between the engine and manifold and you will get it. Post back if you run across any problems. You will get it ok. Just be patient. Have had many off so can help to guide if you run across any more difficulty.

Had an 04 in this morning with jerking on acceleration but no check engine light and no fault codes stored. Turned out to be cylinder 2 so while the intake was off I took a pic to show you the locations of the three hidden rear brackets (marked with a yellow post-it). Also numbered the cylinders on the coils for identification. Point of note when going back together that I didn't mention prior. Before starting the 6 bolts that attach the manifold back to the engine, install and screw in a ways the two bolts that hold the EGR valve to the manifold. They never line up worth a dang once manifold is installed and is very hard to get the bolts started without danger of crosstheading.
Last pic is of the screen on the diagnostic tester dealer has to isolate the missfire when no codes are being set and is intermittent. Works excellent. I had to disconnect the front coils to demonstrate the missfire detection as I had already put it all back together.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/454FFF992DE841DB870D442E9AADE6EE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1377/4C92956DA8994F9ABBC6636D6C871479.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2008, 06:49 PM

The #3 ignition coil on my 2004 MPV went out today. The van has less than 70k miles. The bill comes to $870 to replace all coils and plugs (+ERG valve and 2 vacuum hoses). My mechanic recommeded changing them all because the labor is in removing the intake plentum and the other coilsare nearing the end of their useful life. Based on what I am readingabout MPV ignition coils itsounds like a reasonable suggestion.