Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Humming sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Default Humming sound

I recently bought mazda mpv 2000 model.(used) It makes a humming sound when i put brakes and turn the steering. So i showed my mechanic and he said that it was to do with the tie rods. I got it changed but still get that humming sound when I put the brakes. can somebody please help me? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Default RE: Humming sound

Is it just while your moving does it do it when you are sitting still also?

How do the brakes feel when you push them?

Does the pedal stay firm when you push it and hold it or does it slowly go down to the floor?

Does it hum when you turn the wheel when the vehicle isn't moving?

I'm confused how a tie rod could cause a humming sound, that makes no sense. Answer the questions above and it may help troubleshoot your problem more.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:46 AM

Is it just while your moving does it do it when you are sitting still also?
How do the brakes feel when you push them?

Thanks for your reply. The humming sounds starts when I try to back up or turn the steering to park my car. Especially when I put the brakes and Turn the steering wheel. The sound goes away when I accelerate the car. It sounds as if some motor is starting and goes after I accelerate the car. The sound is pretty loud and noticeable.

Does the pedal stay firm when you push it and hold it or does it slowly go down to the floor?
The pedal is firm when I push it. Except for the sound I dont feel anything different with the brakes.

Does it hum when you turn the wheel when the vehicle isn't moving?
Yes.It hums only when I turn the wheel and apply brakes and the vehicle is not moving.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:05 PM

If the noise only occurs with the vehicle at a complete stop then the braking system is not likely suspect as no parts are moving. With exception of maybe a leaking brake booster seal. Is the noise more noticeable inside van with windows up of from outside of van?
Sounds like maybe something with the steering rack or shaft boot. Look to where the steering column shaft goes thru the floorboard on the inside near your pedals and you will see a black rubber boot that wraps around the steel steering column shaft. Apply a little lubricant such as Vaseline or a spray silicone to where that rubber boot contacts the shaft and see if noise is changed or eliminated.