Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:22 AM
Default help

I have a '96 mazda mpv. Its been making a flapping diesel type noise for quite a while now. I never thought much of it. Today when im driving to the store i give it gas and it wouldnt accelerate passed 20 mph. it wouldnt accelerate passed first gear. If anyone can give me some advice it would be truly appreciated. Mechanics are expensive nowadays and i was hoping to fix it myself.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Default RE: help

Were you able to tell where the noise was coming from? First thing came to mind when hearing about the noise and then huge power loss was that your hydraulic timing belt tension collapsed and was allowing the belt to loosen and make contact with timing covers. That would be the noise. Now the belt has jumped time and your camshafts and crankshaft are no longer in correct timing which would give you the power loss described. Have run across often on the JE V6 engine but usually belt will just break and you end up getting towed off the side of the freeway.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:08 PM

well i had a mechanic take a look at it and he said something about the oil pump not pumping oil to the engine. Turns out i need to buy an engine. Anyone know where i can get a good bargain on one? its a '96.

Old 01-14-2006, 02:43 AM

Why an engine portugee02?? If the engine was still running but were only having a power loss concern then I have a doubt. If the oil pump was not pumping oil to the engine then would have siezed up and you would be on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck???
Post back.....confused

Old 03-16-2006, 06:09 PM

I would agree. Your oil light should have been on as well. Knocking noise is one thing but a complete engine is some ca$h