Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Go fast parts for '91 3L 18 valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Default Go fast parts for '91 3L 18 valve

I'm trying to find out what perf. parts are available for the '91 3.0L 18 valve in the MPV. I know this motor came in other Mazdas, but finding out what parts could be used in the MPV version has been impossible.
I mean, no one would hotrod a minivan, right....
But that's kinda the point, dare to be different.

So, does anyone know what's available, what swaps can be done(aftermarket & oem), is the B3000 from this era the same motor? Is the DOHC motor worth swapping in?

Or anything else that I missed asking.
What do you know folks? Talk to me.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 AM

Nothing? Not a word, even on a Mazda forum?
At least tell me what you think fits, even if you're not sure.

Mazda made like a billion of these, somebody must know something useful.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Default Same engine as 929

In thsi country the 929 the MPV is based on cam ein 3.0 V6 SOHC and latter DOHC. DOHC heads might bolt on. But europe and Asian got turbos and rotary!! We get jipped here in the states on cool powerplants.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Ah, yes!! But are the Jap and European models a V6 to start with? Or are they 4-cyl models that need the boost to carry the weight of the minivan body/chassis.

To answer your original question, DW, you can do anything you want to, if you are willing to Cut, Chop & Rebuild. Why not dump a Chevy (or Ford) sm block, like a used LS1 in there w/some modern 4 or 5-sp automatic? I'm sure it could be done, and especially since the MPV is RWD!
There are tons of parts available for those engines, especially the OHV models and you could do nearly anything you would want to. I even saw a self-contained fuel injection system on one of the weekend car shows (Muscle Car.) Bolts on to any manifold you'd like just like a carburetor, but acts like a throttle body FI. Not the most efficient, but better than your average old-school carb!!

Short of that, you could always make up headers using a universal tubing kit as long as you had time, patience and welding skills. Same goes for an intake.
The electronics would be a little hard to override, imo. Short of deleting them altogether, tuning them would be a mystery as I'm sure there has been little or no call for it in the past.
A '91 is liable to have a single old-school coil for the ignition system too. If so, you could add a Hot Box for increased spark. Put in E3's or some other multi-spark spark plug.
And on and on... it's just a matter of imagination and knowing whats already out there.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:00 PM

As mentioned elsewhere, I have a complete '86 5.0 w/ Tremec 5sp looking for a home. Just not in this van. It's massively oversize, and overweight, to put in that bay without major surgery. No matter what, it would be just to nose-heavy. And I really love that 3 liter. Turbo/intercooled would be a great way to go, but I just want to get an idea what fits this motor, since no one lists anything for an MPV.
I hadn't thought of the 929, but this engine did come in the 626/probe as well, didn't it? I thought I saw a DOHC in one that a friends son has, but it's out of town now, can't check.

Time for an "exploratory" visit to the u-pick, I guess. I just thought I could find some leads/save some time by asking here first.

And, "put a chevy in it"<shudders>, are you kidding me?
I grew up in a machine shop, 99% of the cracked heads in the scrap pile were bowties.
Cracked sm blk Fords, lifetime, I've seen three!

Old 10-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

That may be because there are so many CHEVY sm. blocks out there vs. Fords. For crying out loud, the Rodders use them in their '32 FORDs, and every other rod & lead sled body from the 20's onward!!! And might I add REGULARLY too.
Besides, they are readily available, as are every other piece, part or modification. They have a 60+ year history of being the most reliable and long lasting American V8 EVER produced.

You asked for ideas. I am insulted that you take our suggestions this way. How was I supposed to know you wouldn't consider the obvious?
If you work in a machine shop, you should have about 1000 ideas of your own... and I'm sure you do. Bigger valves. Multi-angle valve jobs, porting, polishing, custom made intake/exhaust. Oversizing. Increasing compression or even grinding your own cam profile, etc... So GET WITH IT!!!
You could machine that OE 3.0L V6 into a monster. That's half the battle, I'm sure!
I should be so lucky to have a machine shop @ my fingertips.

From what I understand, Mazda never considered it anything but a "Mom and Pop" family car engine that would never be seen as a race-ready block. In short, they never intended interest to be that high to modify it... but YOU should have the tools available and the knowledge to make it happen. Why ask us?

Old 10-10-2009, 08:19 AM

I didn't intend to get in a "ford v chevy" flame war, but the ratio of busted gm v busted ford parts far exceeds their sales ratios. And rodders use them because things like manifolds and cams and such(block-specific parts) were the same, except bore and stroke, from '55 to '80, which makes them cheaper.

Now, back to the 3 L. Yes, there are many machining procedures that can be done that work on almost any engine, though cam re-profiling is very specialized, and often not possible in OHC's with limited/no adjustment in the valve train.

All I'm really looking for here is insight into what other cars carried this engine, and what mods, as in aftermarket hard parts, that I could adapt to my application.

That is one of the points of having a forum like this, isn't it? I'm sorry I'm not asking it about one of the "cool" cars, but this is what I've got. And frankly, though I would never have thought so before owning it, this is one of the best all around vehicles I've ever owned.

It was given to me by an uncle when I had nothing to drive, and my first thought was "ugh, a minivan". That was 55k and 5 yrs ago, and now I'll do anything to keep it going.

So, that's what I'm doing here. Trying to find info from any source that will help. Auto stores now days are useless for things like this, they need an application before you can buy a piece of 3/8 fuel hose.

Real countermen are a dying breed. Especially here in s. fl. We only have one major sped shop(Murray's), and even their eyes glaze over when you say "MPV".

Sorry for the long post, I can't stop talking in person either

Old 10-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry too, DW. Perhaps your post just caught me the wrong way and at a bad time, but I feel now that I may have overreacted to it.

I was not suggesting a Ford vs. Chevy exchange either, but that they are so prevalent and AM parts so easy, and relatively cheap to come by. Fords have their advantages and Chevys have theirs.

As a matter of fact, you and I have something in common on this. Shortly after I moved to Texas, w/o my own vehicle, I bought.... a minivan... not JUST a minivan, but a mini-minivan. Two sets of seats, not three.

I bought, on auction, a 1992 Plymouth Colt Vista AWD 5-sp, which is really a Mitsubishi Expo. Except for tinted windows (a practical necessity here in Texas) it was completely stock and stayed that way throughout our 7 yr. affair. It the wedding carriage that took my wife and I away....

Back to Mazda V6 engines: I remember reading in R&T that they were disappointed w/the 6 cyl 2nd gen MX6 (2.5L, I believe) because, as I had indicated before, it was not supported by Mazda or the after market as a marketable performance engine. That buyers of this drivetrain would more likely drive the vehicle stock.

That said, and to continue on my machinists rant (<<< kidding) why not start with the heads. Port, polish, match, cc, deck, fly cut, install new bigger valves and dump on a really good valve job. You should know that the biggest power increases come from improving the cylinder heads (and camshafts.)
Fabricate an intake. That shouldn't be that hard. And headers, a time consuming job for sure, and have at it!!
Those things alone should improve nearly everything about the existing engine.

Last edited by virgin1; 10-10-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:16 AM

Ok V, friends again. Besides, one of the baddest engines I ever built was a chevy for a friends 4X4. It was a 383, 350 blk w/ 400 rotating assy. That thing made torque that made your eyeballs hurt! Single 4bbl, mid cam, headers and torker II intake. He later passed away, and his dad sold the truck for $500, not knowing what the motor was. Sad all around.

And I did find some more info on my engine(JE), though none of it encouraging. I doubt that the 24v(JE-ZE)is worth the swap, forced induction would likely overcome the dif between the two anyway. I doubt headers would be possible, there's no downward path on right side since the stock pipe goes over the back of the engine to merge w/ the left manifold. Fabbing up some tube steel ex. manifolds(though not headers)could work. Or maybe turning the stock ones backward to mount a turbo high in front. And the batt would have to go underneath(or somewhere), it's not like I have a trunk to put it in. Then, like you said, dress up the ports and chambers, better valves/springs. A turbo shouldn't need bigger cams, though it would make more peak power at lower boost. But, it would probably have better drivability with the stock ones.

Then I just need the brakes to go with it, I've warped four sets of new rotors since I've had it. They never wear much, just start shuddering in high-speed stops. I've come to doubt that it's actually warping them, that maybe pad material is "smearing" on them. The steering shakes, but you feel nothing through the pedal like you should if they were warped. And it comes and goes.

Checking that theory this week, I'll let you know.

Oh and, Colt Vista?<shudders> Didn't that come with the extra lever for "power"(hee-hee) or "economy" next to the shifter?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

A member here, CKeffer (Cameron) claims a supercharger is being developed for the Mazda6S V6. Perhaps that would be something to look into?
Here's his thread about it: https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda6-20/supercharger-kit-3-0l-6s-20395/