Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

Engine Misfire left us stranded on I-95

Old 11-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Default Engine Misfire left us stranded on I-95

Hello,

I have had my 2004 MPV for almost three years, I now have 77000 miles.
For the most part the van has been reliable, only unusual repair being the Idle control Valve a few months ago.
Yesterday, traveling South from D.C, I felt some vobration while accelerating at 70 MPH, follwed by a blinking CEL (Check Engine Light). With in a couple of minutes the car woudl simply not accelerate but was coasting and cruising fine. I pulled off on the side of the road in pouring rain as we were more of a hazard in the 75+ MPH traffic. After fiddling with wires pretending to know what I was doing, and letting t he car sit for 3-5 minutes, I decided to take the first possible exit, looked up the nearest Advance auto and had them scan for errors.
The scanner came back with "Cylinder 5 misfire".
Since Cylinder 5 resides under the intake (according to Advance Auto database) and there were no shops nearby, not to mention my restless 6 and 7 year old kids, I decided to drive the van back to Raleigh as it was able to cruise just fine as long as I accelerated extremely gently.
On the way home, my wife searched online on the phone and fopund several threads regarding coilpack issues causing cylinder misfires.
Since I had new spark plugs put in last year, I know that the plugs are good, I am leaning towards replacing ALL coil packs.
If you guys can recommend a relaibel place to purchase the coil packs along with any advice with my issue, i woudl appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by kam1996; 11-02-2009 at 03:58 PM. Reason: spell
Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 PM

Replace the bad one. Don't 'fix' what isn't broken. You're looking at a pretty hard job because access is tight. As for buying online, just Google it. You can order online and/or just shop prices at various parts houses.