Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

2000 MPV shifts hard in 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:41 AM
Default 2000 MPV shifts hard in 2nd

My 2000 Mazda MPV has a hard pull or hard jerk going into second gear. It is most noticeable when going slow like "stop-n-go" traffic. Also taking off slow from a stop sign or stop light will also be terrible with a pull/jerk right where it changes from 1st to 2nd gear, the rpm's go way up and then drop suddenly. The only way it is better is if sometimes it has been ran for a while and the car is warm. Also the more you thrust the gas pedal when taking off and can get up to 35/40 mph or more(like getting on the highway or no traffic in front of you on a city street), it is much more smooth shifting, notice nothing We bought it used and has ran like that since we have had it, is that just the way that Mazda 2000 MPV handles or might there be something that can be looked at?
Thank you for your time and help. Anything woud be helpful. Thanks

Old 05-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Default RE: 2000 MPV shifts hard in 2nd

No it should not have a hard jerk on the 1-2 upshift. Try seeing if you can find another 2000 or 2001 MPV at used car lot and test drive it. I think you will notice a considerable difference in one that is operating correctly. Might want to check the transmission oil and see what it is like. Should be a nice pink color with a slightly sweet odor.

Old 05-05-2006, 05:36 AM

Thanks BH, I will go soon to a service center, for a transmission flush, sounds like that might do the trick. I suspect it's that, I hope so.
So a transmisson flush will prevent your vehicle from jerking/pulling? I hope it's not a wearing transmission! Oh boy!

Old 05-08-2006, 02:17 AM

Babyhuey, The mechanics of all Car Dealerships are on strike where I live. I am a union member myself for a major pop company, so I will not support the "man in the suit" to look at my car or a replacement worker, that being said I went to a AAMCO transmission shop and they checked the fluid, it was clean and RED, said changing the oil even with the 75000 miles on it would do nothing, but they mentioned that even though they could detect the same things I mentioned that it is doing, their reply is "it is a very firm shift, but no slipping", just might not be given enough gas in that shift change, because they said that there is a throttle sensor that detects the time and applied fuel to know when to shift that could be the problem, but they said everything checked out fine. "You just have a firm shift, nothing wrong"
So I have done nothing still, as they said it is fine. The thing that still bugs me is that I cannot figure out why it tends to be a really hard shift when the engine is cold than when the van has been used already for the day or been doing a lot of driving, not turned off the engine yet for like a road trip or what have you.
Thanks again for your time and help!

Old 08-28-2021, 09:53 AM

Hello, I realize i am replying to a SIXTEEN YEAR OLD post. But the detail I read earlier from "babyhuey" made a lot of sense regarding shift solenoids.....

I have a 2004 that has has the hard shift on the odd if memory serves....that is clunks on shifting into D (1), 2-3, or 4-3, and 4-3 . Could be wrong but sounds like "oneof the solenoids" could be bad. Do i understand that the solenoids are accesible testable? i tiny bit of internet sleuting suggessted dropping the pan, and this access them?

Old 10-13-2021, 01:33 PM

Just joined this forum and was searching for a similar problem with a MPV I just bought and I saw where axlehop just recently commented on this old post and I was hoping to ask him what all he might know about my problem. Are you still out there axlehop?