Mazda MPV This minivan was among the class leaders with its roomy interior and efficient powertrain.

1998 MPV fuel issues

Old 04-15-2019, 12:07 PM
Default 1998 MPV fuel issues

Hey guys. Joined this forum just to ask about this!

Picked up a '98 with a 3.0L and 220k on the clock because a timing belt had broke and they couldn't figure out how to put it back together. I got it home and had it running the next day. Not bad for $300!

Now I don't really remember why but for some reason I decided to check the timing. I think the p.o. may have had the dizzy out or something. Anyway, watched a YouTube video how to jump terminals at the diagnostic port to disable the ECM so it doesn't adjust timing, I think the video showed the wrong terminals to jump (or I'm an idiot) and I jumped the wrong ones. Now the only way I can get the dang fuel pump turn on and the van to run is if I jump the fuel pump terminal. Runs okay until it warms up then it starts acting sluggish. If I hammer it the van will take off like a rocket ship. What the crap did I do? I've check fuses and relays but I'm all ears as to which to check and double check.

It's really a sweet van but I can't drive it the way it is. Thanks in advance!