Mazda Protege This compact model offers an economical solution for the need for a sporty sedan or wagon.

fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Default fuel pump issues

I have a 2001 protege 1.6,I have replaced fuel pump twice,first time car ran fine for a couple months.Now pump out again,replaced that one.Power to pump will be on, car will start later no power to pump, car will not start.Put a different fuel pump relay in car still wont start.If I pull pump out of tank and mess with it will usually work for a short time.Nothing seems broken on pump housing,connections and plug-ins seems fine wires fine.Is something shutting pump off?This problem seems to go back to the first pump replacement,but only gotten worse.Any help appreciated.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 PM

Casa,

I'm working off of memory here, so bear with me. First, have you scanned the car's computer for stored or pending trouble codes? If so, then report them. Second, IIRC, the pump will run unless the computer sees a dropout of either the camshaft or crankshaft position sensor input while the engine is running. If you were testing the pump on the car, then it will run for a short period when you first turn the key on, then it will shut off (if the engine isn't being started). If you are bench testing, then the pump should run continuously.

Assuming everything else is OK, check the pump ground circuit. Since you replaced the relay, don't assume that the relay or it's connections in the box are good, maybe they are flaky. Lastly, how about the fuel pickup screen on the bottom of the fuel pump assembly or the condition of the fuel tank (dirty?) - and how about the fuel filter (if it has one), has it been changed as well?

If you have the means to perform a running fuel pressure test, then that may shed some light as well. Again - first look for any computer codes and report them and we can go from there....Good Luck

J

Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 AM
Default fuel pump issues

Thanks for helping,Their are no trouble codes or pending codes.This was tested in the car,sometimes there is power to the pump and sometimes not.I take out the pump mess with and eventually it comes back on,all connections seem alright.Im going to test it for spark tomorrow I read where if you have a bad coil pack the relay or computer will shut down fuel pump such as if you are in an accident.Tank seems clean and filter too only the one in tank.I will check closely those things you suggested,thanks again for any help.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:55 PM

Hi again Casa,

Just curious if this car might have an add on (or factory) anti-theft system. Sometimes those things can cause havoc if they were disabled or malfunctioning. Some of these systems may have been tied into the fuel pump circuit. Something to think about....

Anyway, back to your issue. Does this problem seem to be temperature related? By temperature, I mean either ambient outside temp or temperature under the hood of the car. Does the car run OK when it's relatively cool outside and then exhibit problems later in the day or after you have warmed it up well under the hood?

Again, the pump will only run for a short period if it is being tested on the car without the engine running. Assuming that you are using the correct replacement pump(s), then a re-check of the pump power and ground circuits may be in order. Any known history of similar issues with this car prior to you owning it-assuming you bought it used? It sure sounds like an intermittent electrical issue that may be related to the disturbing the wiring while doing the replacements or perhaps due to previous work. Not blaming you, just thinking out loud. Does the engine die suddenly or does it sputter and struggle before cutting off or was this solely a starting issue?

There is a way to jumper the diagnostic connector under the hood to engage the pump circuit. This is a test to see if the circuit works and to test the fuel pressure and condition of the fuel return line, depending on observed pressure readings. If you're interested in learning more about it, then PM me and I will send you the info.

There are many other items that could play into this, I have only mentioned the few that came to mind. It's good that you will check into the spark side and I hope that you find something that leads you to the cause. Keep after it as it is usually something simple ...

J

Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Default fuel pump issues

Hello highorder77 Worked on car yesterday,able to start car by running a jumper wire from kick panel fuse box.This provided power to pump.Found a broken wire by kick panel,was reset for my alarm,thought found problem,taped it up.Disconnected jumper, pump working.Took to store where bought alarm,they told me alarm only affects starter circuit.When leaving store car would not start, engine turned over,checked pump no power.Hooked up jumper, pump energized, car started.I purchased this car new,problem does not seem to be heat related can do it anytime.It used to do it only after I drove the car then shut it off,now it has done it while it was running.I believe there is a bad wire,or a bad connector on the fuel pump itself.I don`t know if this jumper method will work for long,it shuts off when key turned off.How would I determine if one of the connectors on pump was bad,they look fine.They do not look corroded,or broken.Also the info you talked about if you could send that would be great.Thanks.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:13 PM

Hello highorder7,I sent a message yesterday but it seems like it did not get posted.I think my problem is a bad connection or wire either in the pump chassis or connecting plugs.Sometimes it gets power to pump sometimes it does not.It will start and I don't hear pump,other times will hear pump start.I ran a jumper from my fuse box to hot on pump sometimes works other times not.Usually gas gauge acts up when not starting shows empty or gauge moves up slowly.I don't know how to pm you to get the info you spoke about I could give you my phone number if I had your e-mail.Might be easier.Thanks.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Casa,

Try to PM me again. You should be able to get through. If not, then post an e-mail address and I will contact you. In the meantime, start checking the ground connections around the fuse block, engine, engine to chassis, and fuel pump area.

BTW - the info I have is about 24 Mb in size....Can your e-mail system handle a file that large?

No anti-theft systems in the car to worry about?

J

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 PM

My alarm system only affects starter,not fuel pump,took to installer said all fine with alarm.I watched a video on you tube on fuel pump, guy said to check IRCM module will shut down pump sounded alot like my problem,do you know where it is on my 2001 protege 1.6?And how to check it.Yes I have plenty of room for file.What is pm Don't know how to do it.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:43 PM

Casa,

IRCM - Integrated Relay Control Module. This solid state device would take the place of your mechanical fuel pump relay (which you have already replaced). I can't find a reference to one in my 2002 manual. Not saying one doesn't exist on your 2001, but I just can't find a reference to it, so I think you only have the mechanical relay to the pump. Speaking of that - are you sure you replaced the correct relay?

Even if you had an IRCM, jumpering straight to the pump should have made it run continously if the connections (both power and ground) were good. From your earlier description of testing, you said that sometimes the jumper worked, other times not. That sounds like flaky connections, either on the power or ground side. Could also be another flaky pump, but unlikely. Please be careful when doing these jumper tests near potential gasoline fumes for obvious reasons......

PM - Private Message. When you are logged in, go to your account settings and you should be able to find it. It should be on the menu on the left side of the page.

Lastly, have you considered the possibility of a bad ignition switch? When the contacts and mechanicals wear out inside, they could induce intermittent dropouts as well. More food for thought.

J

Old 05-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Highorder77
Hi again Casa,

Again, the pump will only run for a short period if it is being tested on the car without the engine running.
J
Hi, I have a similar problem and was wondering about this statement-- do you know if a bad crank or cam position sensor will prevent the initial startup of the pump when the key is in the On position? Or do those sensors only come into play when the engine is actually cranking?

My pump runs if I jump the relay contacts but will not run either at key on or while cranking, due to no ground at the pcm-controlled relay terminal.

Quick Reply: fuel pump issues